Lake Atitlan: Santa Catarina And San Antonio Maya Tour From Panajachel
OverviewDiscover the Mayan villages of Santa Catarina and San Antonio on a flexible day tour package from Panajachel. Learn about the local culture, visit weaving cooperatives and see the vibrant blues, purples, and reds woven into traditional designs. Meet local families. Take part in unique rituals, including a Mayan Protection Fire Ceremony. Go to local craft cooperatives and galleries, local ceramic studio, historic churches, and more. Private tour.
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Comprehensive tour of the city
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- All entrance fees included
Know More about this tourLearn about the culture of the indigenous Mayan communities of Guatemala on this day tour from Panajachel.
Your local Mayan guide will lead you on the villages of Santa Catarina and San Antonio above Lake Atitlan.
If you want to choose a bit more of a demanding tour, you can opt to hike above the lake! Alternatively, choose to travel by vehicle for a less physically challenging excursion.
The hike starts 2,000 feet above the lake, with commanding views of the 3 volcanoes, the volcanic caldera, and the surrounding Mayan villages. Along the way, stop to chat with the farmers and learn about their farming techniques. Walking well-maintained, downhill paths, the hike will take about 2 hours, ending with a descent into Santa Catarina.
For those who choose to travel by vehicle, the local shared taxis are a great experience, riding with the Mayans from the villages you will explore.
Santa Catarina is a small village and easy to explore on foot. Hike past terraced fields of onion and garlic, cultivated just as they have been for hundreds of years. Go to the womens weaving cooperatives and admire the beautiful textiles being made into table cloths, bed covers, and clothes. The colors used are of vibrant blues, purples, and reds, and are woven into elaborate designs.
You will also go to the larger village of San Antonio, perched on the side of a steep hill. San Antonio is home to a particular type of ceramic design and you can tour the factory and store if you wish.
Visit the ceramic shops, art galleries, and colonial churches of each village, and meet a Confradia family, who live on a system that dates back to the Spanish conquest. The Confradia people maintain the traditions of the Catholic saints, maintaining shrines to the patron saint of each village.
For those interested in delving deeper into Mayan culture, the local guide can introduce you to a curasera, a traditional Mayan healer who can conduct a Mayan healing/protection ceremony.
Inclusions for Lake Atitlan: Santa Catarina And San Antonio Maya Tour From Panajachel
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected Panajachel and Santa Catarina hotels only)
- Alternative meeting location is Xocomil Travel on Calle Embarcadero in Panajachel
- Round-trip shared transfer starting and ending in Panajchel
Exclusions for Lake Atitlan: Santa Catarina And San Antonio Maya Tour From Panajachel
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (recommended)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.