OverviewThis full day tour takes you high into the mountains above Lake Atitlan on a strenuous hike ending in Solola. Explore the village of Santa Cruz la Laguna and visit the indigenous market in Solola.
Hike through maize fields, coffee fields, old growth forest, and into the cloud forest. Visit a sacred Mayan site with the change to see Shaman performing Fire Ceremony. Hike ends in Solola with time to explore the market, then transfer to Panajachel and back to Antigua. Very strenuous hike.
- Close encounter with wildlife
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Great overview and orientation of the city
- All entrance fees included
Know More about this tourThe day begins in Antigua or Panajachel with a 2-hour plus drive to Lake Atitlan.
Exit the shuttle and meet your local bi-lingual guide. Together you will jump on a boat for an exciting ride along the north shore of Lake Atitlan. This will be your first contact with the local Cakchiquel and Tzutujil Mayan that are indigenous to this area.
The locals are friendly, and will engage you in conversation if you wish.
Exit the boat in Santa Cruz la Laguna and the start of your 3-4 -hour hike begins here.
Visit the isolated village of Santa Cruz la Laguna and then head high into the mountains. The trail gains altitude quickly, and you are a thousand feet above the lake in less than a hour. You hike along ancient paths that have been used by the Kachekel Maya for centuries.
You will view villagers going about their daily life, encounter farmers tending their maize and coffee fields, and see some of the most magnificent scenery in the world. You can visit a sacred Mayan site where rituals are performed by the local shamans, and make your own offering at the alter.
This rugged and remote area has barely been touched by the outside world.
Our hike takes us 2,500 feet above the waters of Atitlan for breath taking views and pristine scenery. It is a difficult walk/climb, but is not overly challenging for those in good health. The hike is approximately 3 hours through magnificent scenery.
Enjoy a picnic lunch along the way, or eat in a local restaurant (own expense).
You walk though a remote Mayan village high in the mountains where we find the road. There we take a shared van which will pick us up for the last few miles into Solola.
Here we will visit the second largest market in Guatemala, then return via chicken bus or pickup into Panajachel. The shuttle back to Antigua departs at 4:00pm, so you may have a bit of time to explore Panajachel.
This is a very full day and only advisable if you are in good health and excellent shape.
Inclusions for Lake Atitlan: Upper Mayan Trail From Antigua Or Panajachel
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan or coach
- Outdoors adventure, plus learn about the Mayan culture
- All activities
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (centrally located Antigua hotels only)
Exclusions for Lake Atitlan: Upper Mayan Trail From Antigua Or Panajachel
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (recommended)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.