OverviewExplore the real Lima and meet the friendly locals on this 3-hour tour of a shanty town in the city. This eye-opening experience challenges common preconceptions about such poor working class areas. Your visit contributes to the community, as a percentage of the tour cost is given to improving conditions in the shanty town.
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- All entrance fees included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Free snacks included
- Small-group tour
Know More about this tourBe picked up from your hotel in Miraflores, San Isidro or Barranco in morning or afternoon. Upon arrival at the destination, you'll be told about security and given some basic guidelines to follow while on this tour. Although shanty towns have a reputation, the guide will make you feel 100% safe at all times. While you slowly make your way to the base of the hill, your guide will explain about the community and its developments, as well as about the urbanization projects, politics, religion, etc. On this walking tour you will get the opportunity to see how many of the locals in Lima really live, and share a great time with them. Take a walk up the famous "yellow stairs" and along narrow roads, visiting a local kindergarten, and exploring a silverware factory. The town's huge dimensions and breathtaking views are impressive for any visitor.
Gradually, you'll slowly start your journey up the ‘yellow stairs’, pause for pictures of the amazing views of greater Lima, and get a glimpse into homes and local life. Stopping along the way to visit the colorful neighborhood and families, and see first-hand the smiling children of Lima. Meet a local craftsman who produces beautiful hand-made silverware, and perhaps make a purchase or two. On your way down, you'll visit a local kindergarten, and have the chance to meet the children on the street.
Please note: the tour provider is sensitive to the issues and concerns surrounding shanty towns and understands that this tour may not be suitable for everyone. The purpose of this tour is for educational purposes alone and allows for a better understanding of Peruvian life inside a shanty town. Furthermore, a percentage of the proceeds from this tour will go to the community.
Inclusions for Lima Shanty Town Tour
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from Barranco, Miraflores or San Isidro only
- Professional guide
- Small-group tour
- Entrance fees
- Walking tour
Exclusions for Lima Shanty Town Tour
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- If your hotel is outside the pickup zone, you can pay an additional fee to be picked up from your hotel
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You might also like
- Lima Bar Crawl Including Drinks And Food Tastings
- Half-Day Lima Sightseeing Tour
- Lima Private City Tour By Car
- Half-Day Tour To Sacred Citadel Of Pachacamac
- Islands Of Lima Sightseeing Cruise
- Palomino Islands Cruise And Swimming With Sea Lions Experience From Lima
- Half-Day Lima Culinary Tour
- Lima Urban Bike Tour In Miraflores And San Isidro
- 15-Day Peru Tour From Lima Including Paracas, Arequipa And Puno
- Day Trip To Pre-Inca Sites With Lunch From Lima