OverviewThe old street markets are one of London`s most enduring characteristics and on this daily 3 hour tour with guide Sandra Shevey you will visit three different markets across 33 boroughs.Â
The tours run every day but at different times to showcase the markets both at night and during the day. Â The Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday tours run at 6pm and end 8pm while the Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday tours run 11am - 2pm. Â
The Christmas Eve Day tour is great inasmuch as we capture a bit of the traditional meat market auction that features in Dickens`s `A Christmas Carol.
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Small group ensures personal service
Know More about this tourLondon`s ancient food markets play an integral role in the development of the city. Â In this three hour tour around three characteristic local street markets we look at the ways markets have changed, are changing and we consider prospects for survival. Â The tour highlights not only the markets but the architecture of the markets and includes some of the most heroic architectural market gems by Fowler, Rose and others.
The tour also references traditional British food and drink and exposes visitors (who have never tasted fish and chips) to fresh local fish traditionally prepared. Â The same goes for scones, jam and cream as well as the local brew (ale or lager) Â The cockney traders too make for an interesting spectacle and we often catch traders hawking produce in the old way. Â The tour aims to give visitors an insight into a London long past its sell-by date and just hanging in there before being completely expunged by gentrification and redevelopment.
Inclusions for London Street Markets Walk
- Guided tour with travel writer, filmmaker, courier Sandra Shevey. Sandra`s blog Markets/Market Towns was shortlisted for the 2017 Uk Business Travel Journalism Awards. Her film on London street markets is widely screened, most recently at the Portobello Film Festival in London (`films we love`) http://markettowns.wordpress.com and http://sandrashevey.tripod.com
- 3 markets, 3 hrs from a rota of 15 ancient markets across 33 London boroughs
- Option to sample traditional English food and drink including Chelsea buns, steak and kidney pudding, scones with marmalade and cream
- Christmas Eve Day tour at no supplement
- No single supplement
- Small groups
Exclusions for London Street Markets Walk
- Travelcard or Oyster card
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Purchase of Sandra`s 30 min dvd on London`s ancient street markets...£30 direct from Sandra
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
Please note: meeting place can change as we visit different street markets each tour
All sales related to this product are final and non-refundable. In case you wish to cancel the reservation you will be charged 100% cancellation fees.