Maldives Dining Experience With A Local Family
OverviewConnect with local life in the best way possible: through food! Get a true local experience with a home cooked meal in a family home, where youll be put to work in the kitchen before digging into a fresh lunch. Visit a neighbourhood market, see where locals live, and learn how to make typical Maldivian dishes.
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Get inside tips from a local
- Lunch included
- Led by a local guide
- Small-group tour
Know More about this tour
Well start our Maldives tour with some shopping, gathering the ingredients well need for our delicious lunch. Youll be taken to the local market and a fish market, where youll be able to browse and taste fruits and vegetables typical of this 1,200-island nation.
From there, walk along the harbor jetties to the Hulhumale Ferry Terminal, where well board a ferry to Hulhumale, anartificial islandsettled in 2004 to meet the booming housing, industrial,and commercialdevelopmentdemands of the Maleregion. Well gather on board with locals making their daily trips you can start up a conversation with some, or just take in the awesome view (you might even be lucky enough to spot some dolphins!).
The ferry ride will take about 20 minutes, after which point well disembark at Hulhumale Island, the sixth district of Mal. From here, well take a local bus to the family home where well be hosted for lunch.
Along the route, youll see a bit of local life in a residential neighbourhood away from the resorts, passing by the Hulhumale hospital, local shops, small cafs, a youth centre, and a mosque.
Once we arrive at our hosts home, youll be asked to leave your shoes at the door, and your guide will teach you the traditional greeting to be made before entering a local home. Youll meet some of the family members, and even though there may be people there who are unable to communicate with you in English, youll see how local hospitality transcends language barriers
Together, well pull out the ingredients we picked up the market, and youll be invited to participate in lunch preparation, helping to chop and grate coconut.
Want to impress friends back home with your new Maldivian culinary skills? Well help you to make notes so you can cook up an island feast on your own.
Once all the cooking is done, well set the table and enjoy a freshly prepared meal with our hosts. Sitting around the table together, well share our thoughts about Maldivian cuisine, discuss local life in the Maldives, and youll even learn some common words that you can use during the remainder of the holiday.
After our meal, your guide will walk with you to the ferry terminal and accompany you back to Mal.
Inclusions for Maldives Dining Experience With A Local Family
- Local English-speaking guide
- Ferry and local bus transportation
Exclusions for Maldives Dining Experience With A Local Family
- Additional food and drinks
- Optional speed boat transfers
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A maximum of 12 people per booking
Minimum age is 6 years
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Note that the Maldives is a Muslim country, therefore please dress modestly. Female guests should have clothing that covers their shoulders and knees. Footwear should be removed before entering any household, so we suggest you wear easy slip-on/off shoes.
While there is no expectation to offer gifts to the family, if you wish to do so, it is a great idea to bring something small that is indicative of your home country
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.