Maleku Indigenous Reserve Day Tour - La Fortuna
OverviewLearn the way of life of this indigenous group in the present day and what they have done to keep their customs and traditions alive. Its population is 1000, and 70% speak the native dialect called MalekuJaica.
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Family friendly
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
- Lunch included
Know More about this tourYour guide picks you up at your La Fortuna hotel around 8am.
Drive in an air-conditioned vehicle through the northern plains for about one hour to reach the indigenous community of Palenque Tonjibe. The village population numbers around 1,000 people, with 70% of the residents speaking the native dialect.
After a short presentation, walk with your local guide through the village to observe daily life. Learn about the ancient architecture of the homes, customs for burying the dead, traditional arts and clothing, and the use of cocoa in farming.
Next, take a walk on a forest trail to learn about medicinal plants used by the ancestors and current benefits of this old knowledge. You'll also come across some old huacas (indigenous tombs).
At the end, pass through a palenque (village) whereyou watch a dance presentation with narration in the native Maleku language. Afterward, partake in a traditional Maleku meal before returning to La Fortuna to end your tour.
Inclusions for Maleku Indigenous Reserve Day Tour
- Round-trip shared transfer
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)available from most La Fortuna hotels. Hotels outside the Arenal Central area have an extra charge for the pickup. Please arrange pickup from your hotel or a nearby location when you call to confirm your reservation.
- Professional guide (English/Spanish)
- Traditional Maleku Lunch
Exclusions for Maleku Indigenous Reserve Day Tour
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
Minimum age is 4 years
Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative
Maximum numbers apply. There is a possibility that the tour has the maximum number of passengers. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative
Not recommended for participants with back problems
Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
Not recommended for pregnant women
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Class III White Water Rafting Half Day Arenal
- Arenal Hanging Bridges Tour
- Arenal Volcano Hike Tour at the National Park
- Butterfly and Fauna Garden at Danaus Eco-Center
- White Water River Rafting Class II-III from La Fortuna-Arenal
- Class II-III Rafting and Chocolate Tour from La Fortuna
- Class II-III Rafting and Hanging Bridges from La Fortuna
- White Water River Rafting Class III-IV from La Fortuna-Arenal