OverviewGuided walking tour in Mantua with a friendly, English-speaking local guide. Food, art, nature and a welcoming atmosphere; thats what makes Mantua one of the best cities to visit in Italy. Discover the Gonzaga family's incredible legacy, where Shakespeares Romeo was banished, Verdis Rigoletto was set and Opera was born. Discover an amazing Unesco World Heritage Site and the reason why the greatest Italian Renaissance writer, Torquato Tasso, wrote ...Mantua is a magnificent town, worth a thousand mile travel to see it...
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Perfect for all ages and skill level
Know More about this tourMantua is a little breathtaking gem; little known or barely remembered before, loved afterwards. The beauty of Mantua, however, is not only in its magnificent buildings but also in the beautiful squares and the charming alleys, lined with arcades and pretty houses. Mantua is small but spectacular and surrounded by beautiful natural environment where art, nature, cultural heritage, great food and overall good living aim for making life sweeter.
Start your city centre visit in Piazza Sordello. Close to Piazza Sordello is Piazza Broletto, where the magnificent Palazzo del Podestà stands between the Arengario Arch and the civic tower, almost all buildings around the square were built in 13th century when Mantua was a commune, a free city.
Continue the tour and visit Piazza Erbe in the heart of Mantua. Here Matilde of Canossa, according to the legend, ordered the building of the 11th century Romanesque church of San Lorenzo. On three sides the square is lined with porticoes and shops and dominated by the imposing Basilica of Sant’Andrea and the Palazzo della Ragione. One of the most important monuments in Mantua is the great Basilica of Sant’Andrea designed by Leon Battista Alberti in 1472. The first chapel to the left is the funeral chapel where Mantegna was buried when he died in 1506.
The tour ends in Piazza delle Erbe close to Saint Andrew's Basilica.
Inclusions for Mantua City Centre Walking Tour
- Professional guide
- Walking tour
Exclusions for Mantua City Centre Walking Tour
- Entrance fees
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transportation to/from attractions
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Price is for 1 to 10 travelers
Children must be accompanied by an adult
A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders must be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.