Maori Cultural Experience: Waka Sailing On Waitemata Harbour - Auckland
OverviewWhen planning your trip to Auckland, did you think to add 'go on a voyage with Maori sailors' to the list? You can now with this 2-hour sailing cruise on a traditional double-hulled boat known as the waka. As you sail around Waitemata Harbour with an expert crew of Maori sailors, learn about Maori and Polynesian sailing traditions, boat building and the waka's epic journeys.
Know More about this tourAfter a traditional Maori welcome on board the waka, the crew hoists the sails of the waka (boat) and you set off on the sparkling waters of Waitemata Harbour. As you cruise along in the traditional double-hulled boat, learn about the ancient traditions of Maori sailing, such as how to navigate by the stars and how the hoe (paddle) helps power the boat.
The Maori’s Polynesian ancestors originally arrived on numerous waka and founded communities all along the coast of New Zealand. Hear about complex rituals, customs, artistry and oral traditions of the Maori people during your 2-hour cruise.
Your captain also shares stories about the waka's recent journeys, including a 30,000-nautical mile (55,560-km) expedition around the Pacific Ocean to raise awareness of Polynesian voyaging traditions and ocean conservation.
A fascinating 2.5-hour sail and museum tour provides insight into how New Zealand’s maritime cultures have shaped the nation of today.
Inclusions for Maori Cultural Experience: Waka Sailing On Waitemata Harbour
- Local guide
Exclusions for Maori Cultural Experience: Waka Sailing On Waitemata Harbour
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum age is 5 years
Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.