Maori Rock Carving Cruise From Taupo
OverviewCruise to the Maori Rock Carvings and around the picturesque bays of Lake Taupo. A full commentary is given on the volcanic history and Maori mythology surrounding Lake Taupo. Take in the fabulous views of secluded bays and the spectacular snow capped mountain peaks of the World Heritage Tongariro National Park. Morning departure features morning tea and afternoon departures feature a fishing demonstration with the chance to participate (valid Taupo district fishing license required).
- Family friendly
- Get inside tips from a local
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Free snacks included
Know More about this tourYour trip will take you from the Taupo Marina along the northern shores of Lake Taupo and on to Wharewaka Point (4 mile bay). From here we cross the main bay of Tapuaeharuru out to Rangatira Point and on to beautiful Mine Bay where we will see the famous Maori rock carvings. As you travel along Mine Bay you will notice a ledge 111 feet (34 m) above the water line where the lake level was thousands of years ago. The return trip back to the harbor is along the western shoreline past picturesque Acacia Bay. Morning departures feature tea or coffee and a hot muffin to warm you up and afternoon departures have a fishing demonstration. Passengers are welcome to participate in a brief bit of fishing after the demonstration, but must hold a valid Taupo fishing license (see Additional Info for more details).
The Lake is 25 miles (40 km) long, 18 miles (30 km) wide and 610 feet (186 m) at its deepest point. The surface area is 388 square miles (625 square km). Many hot water areas can be seen along the northern and southern ends of the lake and a natural hot water beach runs along the lake front of the Taupo Township. These springs occur naturally as a result of the volcanic fault line which forms part of the Pacific Volcanic fault. Vertical features in the rock formations caused by heat dissipation can be clearly seen in Kaiapo bay. The heat fractures pushed around to form a fan in the volcanic core in Whakaipo bay which is exposed due to the drop in the eastern side of the Crater Lake. The Maori rock carvings were commissioned by the Queen Elizabeth Arts Council in 1980 and were created by members of the local Tuwharetoa tribe to represent many of their legends. The carvings feature mostly Taniwha the protectors of the Lake whose power extends to include the island of Motutaiko where many tribal chiefs are buried. From here, we return back to the Lake Taupo Boat Harbor.
Inclusions for Maori Rock Carving Cruise From Taupo
- Morning tea
- Live commentary on board
- Sightseeing cruise
Exclusions for Maori Rock Carving Cruise From Taupo
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Taupo district fishing license (see Additional Info)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
Children must be accompanied by an adult
A Taupo district fishing license is required to fish in Lake Taupo. 24-hour non-resident licenses may be purchased online through the New Zealand Department of Conservation or in person at various locations.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Waikato River Jet Boat Ride
- Great Lake Trail Lake Taupo 2-Day Mountain Biking Tour
- Great Lake Taupo Mountain Bike and Kayak Package
- Taupo Helicopter Scenic Flight
- Kayak the Waikato River Taupo
- H2OHH White Water Rafting and Jet Boat Combo
- Maori Cultural Cruise experience
- Half-Day Kayak to the Maori Rock Carvings in Lake Taupo