Maras Moray Half-Day Tour - Cusco
OverviewMaras and Moray are incredible places. Maras is home to salt mines while Moray has ruins in the form of a Roman colosseum. This site was used to for experimentation and investigation of many different agricultural products. On this 4-hour tour, visit both places and enjoy learning about them.
- Get inside tips from a local
- Led by a local guide
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
Know More about this tourAfter a hotel pickup, you will leave from Cusco at 9:00am. The first stop is Maras, from which you will get to the salt mines. Admire these salt mines which display a bizarre spectacle of beauty. Located on a wide-open hill above the Urubamba Valley, a natural salt water stream runs underground. Learn from your knowledgeable guide how, in pre-Incan times, these have been evaporating the salty water from this stream in order to obtain the salt that gets left behind.
Your guide will also explain this entire process to you. The highly salty water emerges at a spring, the flow is then directed into an intricate system of tiny channels constructed so that the water runs gradually down onto the several hundred ancient terraced ponds. The water, which is exposed to the sun, leaves salt on the land.
After visiting the salt mines near Maras, head to the Moray ruins, which are made up of three coliseums thought to have been used by the Incas as a sort of open air crop laboratory. The coliseums consist of several enormous terraced circular depressions, the largest of which is about 30 meters (98 feet) deep. Admire these terraces which are arranged in concentric circles and are reminiscent of an ancient Greek theater. After the tour you will return to Cusco.
Note: Entrance fees are not included in the price.
Inclusions for Maras Moray Half-Day Tour
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Professional tour guide (English and Spanish)
Exclusions for Maras Moray Half-Day Tour
- Lunch (can be requested at least one day in advance - 50 to 60 soles)
- Cusco tourist ticket (This ticket is required for entrance to Moray)
- Maras entrance fee (8 soles)
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Note: private service options exist at additional cost
Minimum age is 18 years
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
Note: If you do not have a tourist ticket, it can be purchased at Moray
You Might Also Like
- Rainbow Full Day
- NATURAL SALT MINES AND MORAY TERRACES TOUR FROM OLLANTAYTAMBO TO CUSCO
- Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu in 4 Days
- Manu Reserved Zone Express 6 Days
- South Valley Tour - Half Day - Private Service
- Day Trip Adventure in the Chuquicahuana River from Cusco
- 4-Day Beer Tasting, Rafting Adventure and Machu Picchu Tour from Cusco
- Quick Trip in 3-Day: City Tour Cusco and Full-Day Trip to Machupicchu