Melbourne Historical Walking Tour: Crime, Gangsters & Lolly Shops
OverviewTake a walk through downtown Melbourne and learn of an era in which there was much more on offer at the local confectionery store than just lollies and soft drinks. Explore Melbournes underworld c.1870s to 1930s, an era in which Melbournes downtown slum district, Little Lon, was mostly run by women. Learn about the battle for supremacy, madams who stood their ground against well-known gangsters such as Squizzy Taylor, and an all-female crime syndicate known as The Combine. Stop outside buildings which were once brothels and sly grog shops (speak easies), and hear the stories of what occurred within their walls and on the streets and laneways around them.Shootings, bombings, bashings, brothels, robberies, opium, cocaine and sly grog (speak easies).The tour is designed and delivered by writer and historian, Michael Shelford.
Know More about this tourThe tour group meets at the corner of Lonsdale Street and Madame Brussels Lane, which is located next to 38-40 Lonsdale St, City. From there we head off to explore the streets and laneways which were the home of crime, prostitution and vice 100 years ago.
The tour finishes several blocks down the hill at the corner of Lonsdale and Russell Street, Melbourne CBD.
The start and finish points are a short walk from Parliament Railway Station (Bourke Street exit), and are close to Melbourne's many tram stops.
The starting point is straight across the road from Secure Parking, a multilevel parking station at 59 Lonsdale Street.
There are Public toilets located a little way down Lonsdale Street, in the centre parking strip at the corner of Lonsdale and Exhibition Streets.
See you at the Madame Brussels Lane street sign, near 38-40 Lonsdale Street.
Inclusions for Melbourne Historical Walking Tour: Crime, Gangsters & Lolly Shops
- A tour booklet featuring photos of the characters discussed along the way.
Exclusions for Melbourne Historical Walking Tour: Crime, Gangsters & Lolly Shops
- Please bring along your own food and drinks.
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.