Merida Market Tour And Cooking Class
OverviewGet a true taste of Yucatecan cuisine and meet the local people of Merida as you shop at the market for fresh ingredients and prepare several tasty dishes. Your half-day culinary tour includes a cooking class at the home of a local host with the assistance of your knowledgeable guide. Learn about various culinary traditions of Mexico and enjoy the light lunch youve prepared! Numbers are limited to 12 people, ensuring an intimate experience with a small group of like-minded food lovers.
- Lunch included
- Family friendly
- Led by a local guide
Know More about this tourAfter you meet your guide and small group at a central location, drive by air-conditioned minivan to one of Meridas markets less frequented by tourists. As you walk around the bustling outdoor market, your guide will explain about the origins and uses of some of the fruits and vegetables many produced in the Yucatan region.
With help from your bilingual guide, converse with local vendors as you choose seasonal produce and other ingredients in preparation for your cooking class. Take in the aromas and colors of the beautiful chilies and unfamiliar tropical fruits, and learn about such delights as achiote, chile habanero and pepita de calabaza (pumpkin seed).
Next, drive to the personal home of your local host to cook and sample some Yucatecan specialties, such as salbutes (Mayan tacos), panuchos (black bean-filled tostadas), papadzules (enchiladas topped with pumpkin seed sauce) and codzitos (stuffed and fried tortillas). Under the guidance of your host, you'll have help every step of the way and learn to prepare delicious beverages like horchata (sweetened rice drink) or hibiscus flower tea.
As you prepare your meal, youll be introduced to a few Spanish and Mayan words, and learn more about the cuisine of the Yucatan, which includes some of the most varied dishes of Mexico. Your host and guide will describe local culinary traditions, the influence of other cultures on the cuisine, and explain some of the differences between the Yucatecos and people from other parts of Mexico.
Finally, taste the delicious plates you prepared and enjoy a light lunch as you chat more with your small group and host. Afterward, your guide will help you hire a taxi for the return to central Merida (an approximate USD $5 ride).
Inclusions for Merida Market Tour And Cooking Class
- Professional guide
- Beverages (non-alcoholic)
- Cooking session at local family home
- Transport by public transit to market and to the local home
Exclusions for Merida Market Tour And Cooking Class
- Gratuities (optional)
- Transport from cooking lesson location to Merida (approx USD $4 taxi ride)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Mayapan and Homun Town from Merida
- Celestun Tour from Merida
- Private Chichen Itza and Ik-kil from Merida
- Private Tour to Campeche city from Merida
- Private Day Trip: Izamal and Ak Ruins with Hacienda Visit from Merida
- Private Tour: Celestun Biosphere Reserve from Merida
- Private Tour: Izamal and Cenotes from Merida
- Private Tour: Uxmal and Sotuta de Peon with Lunch