Metzabok Lagoon Day Trip From Palenque
OverviewEnjoy a unique experience in one of the most important reserves in Mexico: Metzabok Lagoon. Metzabok was included in 2012 in the World Network of Biosphere Reserves for having lush ecosystems. Metzabok Lagoon, which means Lacandon Maya God of Thunder, is located between the eastern mountains of Chiapas, in the Selva Lacandona in the municipality of Ocosingo Chiapas. It has over 82 hectares divided into 27 lagoons of various dimensions, surrounded by the dense vegetation of the mountains. Get ready to enjoy this natural reserve in the Lacandon Jungle Area in Chiapas and learn about this community.
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
- Led by a local guide
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- All entrance fees included
- See native wildlife in their natural environment
Know More about this tourAfter hotel pickup in Palenque, you'll leave early morning driving towards Metzabok Lagoon. After 3 hours of driving, you will admire a unique place in the middle of the jungle. Metzabok was enacted in 1998 as a natural area of protection of flora and fauna with an ecosystem of high diversity and fragility. It is a combination of high evergreen forest, medium evergreen forest, cloud forest and secondary vegetation areas with different levels of development. This place has also extraordinary ecological importance for its lakes, and its biodiversity (among which are threatened or endangered, as ocofaisn, the harpy eagle, the quetzal and the jaguar).
During the trip, you will learn about the population here which is made up of the Lacandon ethnic group with less than 100 inhabitants. You will have about 3.5 hours of visit time, in which you will also take a canoe ride with a local Lacandon guide to explore the lagoon and some caves of this area. A visit to the area's cave system will reward you with the unforgettable sight of ancient Mayan cave paintings, shrines and great views from the El Mirador cave, a pyramid. Making a short trekking to get at the top of the mountain, you will see an amazing view of all this natural reserve. After the visit, you will have time to eat something with the locals and continue back to your hotel in Palenque.
Inclusions for Metzabok Lagoon Day Trip From Palenque
- Entrance fees
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Canoe ride
Exclusions for Metzabok Lagoon Day Trip From Palenque
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
Infant rates apply provided they do not occupy a seat
It is recommended you bring comfortable shoes and clothes, light jacket, a hat and sunglasses, sun block, extra cash in case you want to buy a souvenir and additional meals
For safety reasons swimming skills are required but its not necessary to make the activity
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Palenque Archaeological Site and Villahermosa Full Day Tour
- Calakmul Archaelogical Zone and Reserve Day Trip from Palenque
- Agua Azul and Misol Ha Waterfalls Half-Day Tour from Palenque
- Montes Azules Biosphere Reserve Day Trip from Palenque Including Boat Ride
- Agua Azul and Misolha Waterfalls Day Trip from Palenque