Experience the majesty of Milford Sound on a boat cruise that stops at the Milford Sound Discovery Center and Underwater Observatory. The smaller boat travels outside of peak hours, offering better viewing and more time on the water than other tours. Look directly into the waters of the sound from New Zealands only underwater observatory. Expert naturalists share informative commentary throughout your tour. Bonus: Include a small-group kayak excursion to paddle along the Milford Sound, one of the Earths most magnificent locations!
Know More about this tourMeet your group at Milford Wharf in the late morning. Relax in comfort with panoramic views of the magnificent scenery as you enter into Fiordland National Park, the biggest national park in New Zealand, where Milford Sound is located.
From Milford Wharf, board your boat for a 2.5-hour cruise, the longest one available on the sound. Your midday cruise is scheduled outside of peak tour hours, so you enjoy less boat traffic and more natural beauty. Two onboard naturalists answer any questions and explain the sights in this spectacular locale.
Your cruise includes a 30-minute stop at the Milford Sound Discovery Centre and Underwater Observatory, which is only accessible by boat. Disembark and browse exhibits that detail the history, geology and wildlife of Milford Sound. Then descend 33 feet (10m) into New Zealand’s only underwater observatory, where you can see rare black coral, butterfly perch, blue cod and other marine critters that thrive in the waters of Milford Sound.
After taking in the underwater world, get back on your boat to resume your cruise, taking in 360-degree views as you glide along the stunning waterway. Munch on a provided picnic lunch of fresh sandwiches, New Zealand cheese and crackers, biscuits, fruit, and juice.
At the end of your Milford Sound boat cruise, return to your starting point at Milford Wharf.
Cruise and Kayak
Upgrade to include a 1-hour kayak excursion on Milford Sound that takes place near the end of the boat cruise. This is a small-group activity, limited to 12 people, with an experienced naturalist guide. Slip your kayak into Harrison Cove to glide across crystal-clear water. Gaze at Pembroke Glacier and Harrison Valley as you paddle around the cove. From there, hop back on the boat to head back to the Milford Wharf.
You don’t need any previous experience for this kayak tour; all instruction and gear is provided. Don't miss this rare chance to kayak in the breathtaking, peaceful beauty of Milford Sound.
Inclusions for Milford Sound Cruise With Optional Kayak Tour
- Sightseeing cruise on Milford Sound
- Entry to Milford Discovery Centre & Underwater Observatory
- Picnic lunch
- Local guide
Exclusions for Milford Sound Cruise With Optional Kayak Tour
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Wheelchair accessible onto boat but no disabled toilets onboard. Vessel has large viewing windows, ideal for wheelchairs.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.