Modena A Welcoming City - Half Day Tour
OverviewSee the best of Modena city centre in a half day guided walking tour led by a friendly private professional local guide. Discover Modena, one of the best top foodie destination in Italy and home to a Unesco World Heritage site since 1997.
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Comprehensive tour of the city
Know More about this tourA very famous Italian advertisement says that if Italy were a house, the Emilia Romagna Region would be the kitchen and if the Emilia Romagna Region were a kitchen Modena would be the main course. If Italian people believe it then it must be absolutely true.
But Modenais not onlygreat food, excellent cuisine, Michelin starred restaurants, luxury cars and famous Opera singers...Modena is also home to a 12-century university,to Italys West Point, to a Unesco World Heritage Site.Modena is really a town where the Old and the New come together and tradition goes hand in hand with innovation
The walking tour starts inPiazza Grande with theCathedral and the Ghirlandina tower. The three monuments have been listed as aUnesco World Heritage sitesince 1997. The cathedral, a supreme example of early Romanesque art, together with its squareand tower testifies to the faith of its builders and it is considered a masterpiece of human creative genius in which a new relationship between architecture and sculpture was created. The Modena complex is one of the best examples of cultural traditions of the 12th century where religious and civic values are combined in a medieval Christian town. Piazza Grande was and still is thepolitical and meeting centre of the town and it is on thissquare that the ancient City Hall was built.
At that time Modena also boasted a network of canals, echoes of which still remain in the names of the citys streets.
The visit continues in the very city centre where the cobblestone streetslined with shops give the opportunity to relive the medieval town. One of these streets is the old roman via Emilia which connects Piazza Grande to Piazza Mazzini,the area of the former Jewish Ghetto, where it is possible to admire one of the most beautiful 19th century synagogues.
Close to Piazza Grande the bustling Mercato Albinelli has been satisfying the grocery needs of locals since 1931 but it also provides fine scenes of the locals' daily life.
With the arrival of the Este family in 1598, the urban layout of Modena changed to suit the needs of the new court.Modena needed a new urban look, with noble villas and courtier houses, summer residences and churches. Some medieval streets were replaced by large and straight roads and a part of thecity acquired a new urban look and the old castle was replaced by the Ducal palace. The tour ends in piazza Roma in front of theBaroque faade of the ducal palace, now housing the Military Academy.
Inclusions for Modena A Welcoming City - Half Day Tour
- Professional guide
- Local guide
- Walking tour
- Small-group tour
- Private tour
Exclusions for Modena A Welcoming City - Half Day Tour
- Entrance fees
- Food and drinks
- Transportation to/from attractions
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.