Get a great introduction to modern Berlin on this half-day walking tour of four different districts. Discover formerly run-down neighborhoods like Mitte, Kreuzberg and Prenzlauer Berg where immigrant, alternative and corporate cultures thrive amid a gentrified urban landscape that continually transforms. Visit the Kulturbrauerei (Culture Brewery) and see the East Side Gallery of the Berlin Wall with your knowledgeable local guide. You’ll learn about the diverse cultural and political influences on Germany’s capital since the unification of this once-divided city.
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Instant Confirmation
- Led by a local guide
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
Know More about this tourMeet your expert guide in the morning at a designated spot in the former West Berlin or East Berlin, depending on your preference, and start your half-day walking tour through this eclectic city.
Head to the gentrified neighborhood of Mitte, located in the historical city center along the River Spree, and see old buildings beautifully restored from their previously neglected state after the fall of the Berlin Wall. As you explore the winding courtyard passages, your guide will point out examples of the post-unification cultural scene and inform you about this hub where art, consumerism and technological innovation flourish.
Next, visit Prenzlauer Berg, a formerly working-class district now transformed into a vibrant area with its influx of young families, entrepreneurs and fashionable trendsetters. Visit the Kulturbrauerei (Culture Brewery), a well-preserved 19th-century brewery complex renovated into a cultural arts center that includes cinemas, theaters and clubs.
Learn about East Berlin’s demographic upheaval as you listen to your guide chronicle historic changes that led to the city’s cultural transformation. Then, head to Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg, fascinating districts formerly divided by the Berlin Wall, where the residents’ traditional left-wing politics are now challenged by new influences.
Visit the East Side Gallery, a half-mile (1.3-km) section of the Berlin Wall displaying more than one hundred original mural paintings expressing freedom and reconciliation. As you stop to admire the images, you’ll discuss the origins and political messages of Berlin's street art scene with your guide.
The tour ends with a crescendo at the infamous Turkish Market, an outdoor bazaar on the banks of the beautiful Landwehr canal. The weekly market has grown beyond its origins of fresh produce, authentic Turkish cuisine and bolts of brightly patterned fabric, today you can find Berlin artisans, local farmers and impromptu live music too, truly a representation of city's diverse population.
Inclusions for Modern Berlin Walking Tour
Exclusions for Modern Berlin Walking Tour
- Berlin Transport AB Zone daypass (approx 7 euros)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
An AB zone public transport daypass, or equivalent, is necessary for this tour. Should you not have one on arrival at the meeting point, the tour guide will help you purchase one on the spot. They normally cost 7 euros per person, but there are many variations with group reductions
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.