Moises Bertoni Scientific Monument Natural Reserve And Museum
OverviewThis museum is dedicated to the Swiss scientist Moises Bertoni and is based in his original house when he and his family settled in Paraguay. Located within 200 hectares of protected tropical rain forest, it's open to the public and is accessible both by road (a 1-hour drive from the Argentinian and Brazilian border), or by boat on the Parana River.
- Perfect for all ages and skill level
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
- Family friendly
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Vegetarian meal option available
- Led by a local guide
Know More about this tourThis museum is dedicated to the Swiss scientist Moises Bertoni and is based in his original house when he and his family settled in Paraguay. Located within 200 hectares of protected tropical rain forest, it's open to the public and is accessible both by road (a 1-hour drive from the Argentinian and Brazilian border), or by boat on the Parana River.
Whether you want to go on a short (15min) interpretative hike through the forest, watch a video documentary about Moises Bertoni's life, or visit the museum with a local guide (in spanish), there's no shortage of activities on the grounds.
The monument itself has a high environmental value in the region. It comprises a part of the most important ecological corridor in the region and the planet, corresponding to the remnants of the Altoparanense Selva and integrating with other biological reserves and refuges of the Department of Alto Paran and Canindey.
The monument not only holds environmental value, but a high cultural value as well. The Mby'a tribe live on the grounds as it is their ancestral territory, as do the Guarani people. Both participated with Bertoni on his scientific research into local flora and fauna, as well as his research into local culture. They participate and share with tourists their culture through dances, songs and selling their crafts. This alternative income helps to fund their agricultural activities and self-sustenance farms.
On the grounds, there are two hiking trails of medium difficulty: The Arroyo Bertoni path that leads to the beach and the second path Kuri`y Palmital, an interpretive tour where native and exotic species introduced by Bertoni were observed. The Bertoni Family house has two floors chronicling the life and work of Moiss Santiago Bertoni through their belongings, books, collections and objects. The balcony of the Bertoni Museum provides a beautiful view of the Parana River and beach. Down the steps from the museum, on the Kuri'y Palmital path, is the family cemetery where the remains of Bertoni lie at the foot of the cypress tree that he planted himself, years before his death.
Services onsite: Snacks, coffee, shopping, handcrafts from Mby'a and Guarani.
Inclusions for Moises Bertoni Scientific Monument Natural Reserve And Museum
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Entrance fees
- Local guide
Exclusions for Moises Bertoni Scientific Monument Natural Reserve And Museum
- Food and drinks
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Not wheelchair accessible
The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Private Transfer - Cairo Airport Arrivals Hall to Hotel
- Cheong Fatt Tze George Town Penang: The Blue Mansion Guided Tour
- Bagore Ki Haveli Evening Dance Session Admission Ticket with Optional Transfer
- Private Departure Transfer: Negombo City to Colombo Bandaranayake International Airport CMB BIA
- Private Arrival Transfer: Colombo Bandaranayake International Airport CMB BIA to Negombo City
- Guided Tour of Cathedral of Holy Trinity