Monreale Half-day Tour From Palermo
OverviewThe Cathedral and the Cloister of Monreale were part of a self-sufficient and fortified complex on the slopes of Mount Caputo.
- Get inside tips from a local
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourVisit the Cathedral of Monreale, once part of a self-sufficient, fortified complex that included a Royal Palace, an Episcopate and an abbey. Situated on the slopes of Mount Caputo, the complex of Monreale was surrounded by crenellated walls interspersed with defensive towers and embellished with geometric marquetry that could be seen from the Conca d'Oro below.
The Cathedral has mantained its original configuration and its origins as an 'Ecclesia munita', emphasized by the two mighty square towers that stand on either side of the facade.
After marvelling at the interiors of the cathedral, your guide will take you to the Benedectine Cloisters, the abbey's unifying, central element, around which all other parts of the complex were arranged: facing the entrance was the dormitory, to the right was the refectory, to the left the capitulate. Built on a square plan (47m x 47m) with six-metre-wide walkways, the Cloisters feature an iteration of oval arches on twin pillars that become tetra-style groups at the four corners.
Western religious culture and Islamic sensibilities blend in the Benedectine Cloister, creating a unique and extremely evocative architectonic and artistic language. Surprisingly, the small fountain is not in the centre but in one of the corners of the cloisters, an unorthodox and asymmetric design decision, possibly motivated by a desire to bring a water source closer to the refectory.
Inclusions for Monreale Half-day Tour From Palermo
Exclusions for Monreale Half-day Tour From Palermo
Food and drinks, unless specified
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.