OverviewDelve into Catalan traditions, visiting the mythical mountain of Montserrat and diving in the culture of the cava in Codorníu historic cellars.
Our expert guide will pick you up at your hotel in a comfortable minivan and will assist you on this journey into the heart of Catalonia. He will also offer you a background history on the Catalan culture while you enjoy of two of the most phenomenal sites of the region.
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Led by a local guide
- Small-group tour
Know More about this tourIn the morning, you will drive 60 km northwest of Barcelona, where Montserrat stands majestically - up to 4000 feet in height. The look of this rock mass, known for the whimsical shapes of its peaks soaring through the sky, is the result of a process of erosion over millions of years. In its ascent, you will discover the most mysteriously beautiful views of Catalonia.
In the mountain, 2380 feet above sea level and surrounded by this magnificent scenery, is located the Benedictine monastery of Santa Maria de Montserrat. This visit includes the basilica, an authentic spiritual retreat center consisting of nearly a thousand years of history, also where we will find the Virgin of Montserrat - the "Black Madonna". According to legend, the virgin appeared in the IX century, giving rise the hermitage of Santa Maria and its worship for centuries. Patron and symbol of Catalonia, "Black Madonna" has been venerated into a XII century Romanesque carving which is characterized by its unique dark skin, hence the nickname as it is popularly known. After visiting the monastery, a walking tour of its surroundings will allow us to enjoy the unparalleled views of this privileged environment, which was declared a Natural Park in 1987. At the end of this tour, you will discover the Holy Cave, where according to legend, the virgin appeared, and has since been a center of pilgrimage and prayer.
To conclude this mystical visit, you will be delighted to listen to the angelic voices of La Escolania de Montserrat, one of the oldest boys' choirs in Europe.
In the afternoon we will head to the Penedes wine region, where you will stop in Sant Sadurní d'Anoia, the capital of Cava. In this locality, the winery with the most history would be Codorníu. Its traditional wine-growing dates back almost five centuries in the hands of this family business.In 1872, it was the first produced cava in Spain following the traditional method, and with Penedès own grapes.
These wineries offer the luxury of being located in a landmark building of Catalan modernism, designed by architect Josep Puig i Cadafalch, who was a contemporary of Gaudí. In this tribute of stone to the cava - which symbolizes the fruitful alliance between nature and the human task , you will discover the history of these mythical cellars and the process of developing its flagship product.
Inclusions for Montserrat And Penedès Guided Day Tour From Barcelona
- Hotel or apartment pickup and drop-off
- Professional local guide
- Walking tour of the Natural Park of Montserrat
- Visit Monastery of Montserrat
- Children Choir of Montserrat (if available)
- Transport by private vehicle
- Small group (maximum 8 people)
Exclusions for Montserrat And Penedès Guided Day Tour From Barcelona
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Ticket Codorniu cellar visit and tasting (10 EUR aprox)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 5 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
A minimum of 2 adults per booking is required
A maximum of 8 people per booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You might also like
- Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada Familia Tour
- FC Barcelona Football Stadium Tour And Museum Tickets
- Barcelona Hop-on Hop Off Tour: East To West Route
- Montserrat Royal Basilica Half-Day Trip From Barcelona
- Tarragona And Sitges Small Group Day Trip From Barcelona
- Private Full Day City Tour In Barcelona
- Park Guell And Sagrada Familia Guided Day Tour In Barcelona
- 5-Day Spain Tour: Cordoba, Seville, Granada And Toledo From Barcelona
- Tapas And Wine Experience Walking Tour In Barcelona
- City Walking Tours