WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
Your guide will meet you at your accomodation in Walvis Bay or Swakopmund at apro 8:30. After a quick briefing we get into our 4x4 vehicle and depart for our first point of interest, Dune 7.
Dune 7 is the highest dube in this area at 132 meter. It is a very prominent landmark and can be seen from kilometers away. To get the best possile view, we challenge you to climb it to the top!
From here we depart to the strange but beautyfull Moonlandscape, an extremely arid area with Damara Granites that has been pushed through the Earths crust some 500 million years ago. This site also plays host to many film crews due to its "moonlike" appearence. After stopping for photos at the allocated viewpoints, we head to Goanikontes Oasis. It was once a rest camp on the trading route between Walvis Bay and Windhoek and today it serves as a welcome stop over for a meal and drink whilst exploring the desert.
Next we head towards our star of the tour, the living fossil. once at the Welwitschia plains, we will inform you of our living fossil and what makes it so unique. You will then have time to explore the area and take some amazing photos while we prepare lunch for you.
After lunch we take a slow drive back to your collection point and that concludes our tour.
- Hotel pickup Available
- Free Cancellation
- Travelers below 8 years not allowed
- Duration: 6 Hrs
OverviewThe Welwitschia plant, often reffered to as a "living fossil", is the only genus of the family Welwitschiaceae and order Welwitschiales, in the devision Gnetophyta. Welwitschia Marbilis is endemic to the Namid Desert. This plant only has two leaves, these leaves never stop growing and are the only leaves that this plant will ever bear. They eventually become split, frayed and shredded into several well-seperated strap-shaped sections. The largest specimens are no taller than 1.5meters, however the circumference of the leaves at contact with the sand may ecceed 8meters. Some individuals are as old as 2000 years!
*Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle od the city
Know More about this tour
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
*Hotel collections and drop off
*Permits and park fees
*Lunch and refreshments
*English speaking guide
- At checkout we'll ask you to provide your hotel information. Once your booking is confirmed, we'll send you a confirmation voucher with full contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator in case you need to update or change your hotel pick-up details.
- In case you have not booked your hotel, Don't Worry ! Once your hotel arrangements are finalized, you can contact our local operator directly with your hotel details.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.