Motuara Island Bird Sanctuary And Ship Cove Cruise From Picton
OverviewCruise from Picton Harbour to Motuara Island and beyond to see rare native birds and other wildlife on this 4.5-hour boat excursion. Spend time exploring Motuara Island Bird Sanctuary and Ship Cove, learn from your expert captain about wildlife and cultural history, and take in the gorgeous scenery of Queen Charlotte Sound. Look for endangered native birds including the South Island saddleback, king shag, little blue penguin and kiwi as well as seals and rare dolphins.
Know More about this tourAt the waterfront in Picton, board your vessel for your 4.5-hour excursion. As your boat makes the 60-minute journey to Motuara Island, your expert captain provides informative commentary on the points of interest, wildlife, and human history of Queen Charlotte Sound, which is part of the larger Marlborough Sounds.
When you arrive at Motuara Island, set off on your own to explore the Motuara Island Bird Sanctuary. Once cleared for farming, the forest has regenerated and all predators on the island were removed in 1991. A series of informative panels along the trail provide details about the area and you can walk up to a lookout point on the top of the island.
Many rare and native birds live on Motuara, including the saddleback, New Zealand robin, kiwi, bellbird, tui, grey warbler, New Zealand pigeon, silver eye and fantail. Other creatures found here are the Maud Island frog and Marlborough green gecko. A pod of native Hectors dolphins considered the rarest marine dolphin in the world make the Sound their home, and you are likely to see little blue penguins hunting for fish. You may also view other waterbirds like shearwaters, shags and gannets.
After 6090 minutes on Motuara, return to the boat at the designated time for the 10-minute cruise to Ship Cove. Captain James Cook landed here in 1770 to supply his ship, and in the process, it became his favorite New Zealand anchorage. Take 30 minutes ashore to explore informative displays, snap photos of a monument to Cook, and enjoy the beautiful sheltered beach. Then continue and take in the scenery as your boat makes short stops in the area, before cruising for about an hour to return to Picton.
Complimentary tea and coffee are provided on board and you are welcome to bring food with you. There are no shops or cafes to purchase snacks during the tour.
Inclusions for Motuara Island Bird Sanctuary And Ship Cove Cruise From Picton
- Live commentary on board
- Tea and coffee
Exclusions for Motuara Island Bird Sanctuary And Ship Cove Cruise From Picton
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Guests are welcome to bring their own food and drinks to consume on board
Closed-toe walking shoes suitable for walking are recommended
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Bird Watching and Dolphin Eco-Tour from Picton
- Picton Shore Excursion: Gondola Hill 4WD Tour
- Queen Charlotte Sound Mail Boat Cruise
- Marlborough Sounds Cruise from Picton
- Full-Day Wine Gourmet and Scenic Delight Tour from Picton
- Private Tour: Marlborough Winter Wine and Scenic Tour from Picton
- Picton Shore Excursion: Marlborough Wine Region Small-Group Tour