Mount Kenya Trekking Through Sirimoni-Chogoria Route - Nairobi
OverviewThis creative climb joins two of the most scenic routes up Mount Kenya, Sirimon and Chogoria, producing a remarkably diverse and spectacular trek. Sirimon coming off the west of Mount Kenya passes through the dry side of the mountain with its giant trees and rocky terrain, and the descent onto the Chogoria path is exactly different with its lush bamboo and highland forests. The final night time ascent of Point Lenana can be as difficult as any ascent in East Africa, but the rest of the trek is generally considered easier than either Kilimanjaro or the Rwenzoris, and this is the most likely climb for actually seeing big game. Accommodation on this hike is in mountain huts. Nonetheless, if you prefer to camp you can do so on all nights on the mountain.
Know More about this tour
Day 1: Nairobi/Sirimon/Judmaier Camp (Old Moses Camp) 3-4 hrs, 9km, 860m ascent
Leave Nairobi at 7.30am to Nanyuki town for lunch, taking about 4 hours. Proceed to Sirimon Gate, 1 hr, 2440m. From the gate follow the track as it winds uphill though the forest which becomes heath land after about 3 hrs. About 3½ hours from the gate the track veers right to Judmaier Camp, 3300m for dinner and overnight, L, D
Day 2: Judmier Camp/Shipton Camp 6-7hrs, 17km, 900m ascent
After breakfast, follow the track uphill, forking left at the junction. After one hour from Old Moses Camp, the track crosses Ontulili River. Go right contouring through the Moorland and crossing Liki North and continue uphill to Mackinders Valley from where there are panoramic views up the valley towards the main peaks. Dinner and overnight at Shipton Camp, 4200m, B,L,D
Day 3: Shipton Camp
Spend the day acclimatizing. Walk to Kami Hut down to Hauseberg Lakes (Hauseberg Tarn and Nanyuki Tarn). Walk back to Shipton for dinner and overnight.
Day 4: Shiptons/Point Lenana/Mount Meru Bandas (Chogoria Gate) 11-12hrs, 32km, 785m ascent
Leave at 3am up a steep stony quarry that cuts through a cliff clearing visible part towards lower Hall Tarns arriving Mount Kenya point Lenana (6km from Shipton Camp) at 6:30am, taking about 3hrs. After the sunrise, descend down to Mintos hut (6km), 2hrs, for breakfast and 20km, 4-5hrs further down to Mount Meru Bandas, 2950m, for dinner and overnight on Mount Kenya, B,L,D
Day 5: Chogoria Bandas/Chogoria/Nairobi
Descend 2hr, 15km to forest clearance to catch a 4×4 transfer vehicle to Chogoria Village where you will connect with your transfer vehicle back to Nairobi, B,L.
Inclusions for Mount Kenya Trekking Through Sirimoni-Chogoria Route
- 4 nights accommodation
- Entrance fees
- National Park fees
- Meals as per itinerary (B=breakfast, L=lunch, D=dinner)
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Small-group tour
Exclusions for Mount Kenya Trekking Through Sirimoni-Chogoria Route
- Laundry, tips, sleeping bags, drinks, accommodation before the trek and climbing gears International flights. Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase).Gratuities (recommended) Visas to Kenya Items of personal nature Any other extras not detailed in the above itinerary
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Not recommended for pregnant women
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- 3 DAYS PRIVATE SAFARI TO MAASAI MARA NATIONAL PARK AND KEEKOROK LODGE
- 3 DAYS PRIVATE SAFARI TO MAASAI MARA NATIONAL PARK AND AA LODGE
- WILD PHOTO EXPEDITION KENYA
- 2 Days Amboseli Safari
- 4-Days Masai Mara and Lake Nakuru Luxury Safari All Inclusive
- Lake Nakuru Day Trip From Nairobi
- Giraffe Centre and David Sheldrick Half Day Tour
- Nairobi by Night Experience