Mumbai Private Tour: Full Day Kanheri Caves TourWrite a Review
OverviewThese are Buddhist caves or monasteries where monks practiced their austerities around the first century AD. And unlike the artistic extravagance of Elephanta, they are spartan and bare. Situated in the heart of Mumbai's National Park, the complex contains more than a hundred tiny cells cut into the flank of a hill, each fitted with a stone plinth that evidently served as a bed. There is also a congregation hall supported by huge stone pillars that contains the dagoba, a kind of Buddhist shrine. And if you pick your way up the hill you will find channels and cisterns that are remnants of an ancient water system that channeled rainwater into huge urns. In fact, Kanheri is probably the only clue to the rise and fall of Buddhism in Western India.
- All entrance fees included
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Private tour is operated with just your party and a guide/driver
- Comprehensive tour of the city
Know More about this tour
Your journey exploring Mumbais cultural roots with an English-speaking guide begins at 9am at your hotel. Be sure to dress modestly and wear comfortable shoes to visit religious sites and spend the day walking (this outing is not recommended for guests with heart complaints or related medical conditions).
Take in an Arabian Sea view from Gateway of India, where your guide will reveal a few details about its design and construction. Your next stop is Prince of Wales Museum, where your entry fee is covered to marvel at nearly 50,000 artifacts from across the world and decades as far back as the Indus Valley civilization. Youll continue to Mani Bhavan Mahatma Gandhi Museum with another included entry, and see the nearby Gandhi statue. Drive past the Hanging Garden, ornate Flora Fountain at Hutatma Chowk Square, and Victoria Terminus railway station to observe Mumbai's past mingled with the present. See more of the modern city driving past University of Mumbai, Rajabai Clock Tower, and Nariman Point. Youll be dropped off at your hotel around 1pm, unless youve upgraded to the full-day option.For the full-day adventure including Kanheri Caves, your guide will make recommendations for an authentic local lunch on your own around 1pm in the city center. After lunch, learn about the history of Buddhism in India as you make the 30-minute drive into Sanjay Gandhi National Park and to the entrance of the caves, where your tickets are included. As you marvel at the monumental former monasteries and their sculptures, you'll learn how monks lived, studied, meditated, and worshiped, andabout the Buddhist influence on Indias art and culture. After about three hours exploring the caves, youll return to your Mumbai hotel at approximately 6pm.
Inclusions for Mumbai Private Tour: Full Day Kanheri Caves Tour
- Professional English-speaking guide
- Entrance fees to all attractions
- Hotel pickup and drop-off within Mumbai city limits
Exclusions for Mumbai Private Tour: Full Day Kanheri Caves Tour
- Anything not mentioned in the Inclusions section.
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Select either half-day tour or full-day tour including Kanheri Caves
No strict dress code is enforced at tour sites. However, please be advised to dress accordingly for places of worship; spaghetti straps and short shorts are not recommended
A moderate amount of walking is involved; comfortable walking shoes and sunglasses/sunscreen with hats or scarf for ladies are highly recommended
This private tour operates with a maximum of 8 people
Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.