Mutianyu Wall Afternoon Sunset Half Day Private Tour - Beijing
OverviewVisit one of the most famous attractions in the world, the Great Wall of China in the comfort of your own air conditioned vehicle and enjoy the delights of seeing the wall in the glow of the afternoon light. An afternoon tour to the Mutianyu section, one of the best preserved sections of the wall is a less crowded one. It also offers you the option of staying on the wall after it closes to enjoy the spectacle of sunset. The tour offers a flexible drop off point, be that a centrally located spot, a restaurant or back to your hotel. Or if your time in Beijing is ending and youve a flight to catch, Beijing International Airport. Two options are available. Option 1 is a round trip to the wall with an independent exploration of the wall or an all-inclusive option, a fully guided one in the company of an English speaking guide, (Option 2). Both options include transfers by private air conditioned vehicle and entrance fees. Option 2 also includes the return trip up the ramparts.
Know More about this tour
Expect to be met by your driver or for those choosing the all-inclusive option your English speaking guide, in your hotel lobby at 1.30pm.
Youll travel to the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall, a section of the wall that is not only considered more diverse but one of the best preserved sections of the wall. Depending on the traffic the drive out to the site is about 1.5 hours, so youll arrive around 3pm. As the busiest time for visiting the wall is between 10.30am and 3pm, (80% of visitors are on the wall between those times), youll be arriving when most people are leaving or have left, so youll enjoy a visit that is less touristy than if arriving mid-morning.
You can see 23 Watch Towers distributed along its more than 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) length. This stretch of the UNESCO listed Great Wall is known for its beautiful surroundings, including dense forests and rich pastures. Youll have plenty of time (several hours) to hike along the wall and enjoy the scenery. This section of the wall is also recommended as being the most family friendly, as its a section thats easier for those with young children to navigate.
While you can ascend the ramparts by foot, the path is a steep one so its best to save your time and energy and take the cable car or chair lift to the ramparts. (The cable car takes you to the northern entrance, Watch Tower #14 to commence your walk. The chair lift takes you to southern entrance, Watch Tower # 6). Enjoy your time on the wall and descend via the cable car, the chair lift or for those so inclined the toboggan descent, located at the southern entrance. The fully inclusive tour, as the name suggests includes return tickets by cable car, chair lift or the alternative combination route of chair lift up /toboggan descent.
Once on the ramparts you can stay for as long as you like. If you choose to stay for the sunset be mindful that access to the wall and its descents close between 4.30pm and 5.30pm, depending on the season. Sunset typically occurs around 7.30pm in summer time and around 5.30pm in winter. So if you opt to stay to watch the changing colors and vistas the sunset brings, youll need to descend the ramparts by foot, a hike that typically takes about an hour.
After your visit to the Great Wall youll be driven back to Beijing where you have the option of a flexible drop off point, be that a restaurant of your choice or any other centrally located spot, or if youve got a flight to catch, Beijings International Airport. For those who prefer to be taken back to their hotel that too is an option. Expect to be back in the city around 7pm (winter time). If staying for the sunset, in summer time, much later.
Please note that you need to provide your preferred drop off location in advance.
Inclusions for Mutianyu Wall Afternoon Sunset Half Day Private Tour
- Hotel pick up and flexible drop off point
- Private air conditioned vehicle
- English speaking guide (Option 2 only)
- Entrance fees
- Cable car return to the ramparts or chair lift car return, or chair lift up/toboggan down (Option 2 only)
- Bottled water
Exclusions for Mutianyu Wall Afternoon Sunset Half Day Private Tour
- Cable car return to the ramparts or chair lift up/toboggan down (Option 1)
- Gratuities (recommended)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Operates in all weather conditions, so please dress accordingly
A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
A moderate amount of walking is involved - please wear comfortable shoes
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Children aged 4 and under are free
Child rate for children, 4 12 years applies when accompanied by 2 paying adults
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at the time of booking
Please note, access to the ramparts is operated by 2 different companies. The return trip to the northern entrance, Watch Tower #14 is by return cable car. The return trip to the southern entrance, Watch Tower #6 is either by return chair lift or chair lift up / toboggan ride down. Please note Option 2 the all-inclusive option includes ONE of these options. If you choose to do a one way trip between the two Watch Towers, going up to one, and down from the other, a small additional fee is incurred approximately 80 RMB per person. This is due to the rides being operated by 2 independent suppliers.
Travel insurance is encouraged
Sunset 7.30pm in Summertime, 5.30 pm in winter
Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions requirements
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Small Group Day Tour of Mutianyu Great Wall and Ming Tombs
- Private Customized 3-Day Tour Combo Package: Ultimate Beijing Sightseeing
- Beijing by Bus Tiananmen Square Forbidden City and Mutianyu Great Wall Tour
- Private Two-Day Datong Tour from Beijing
- Historic Beijing Tour of Forbidden City, Tian'anmen Square and Temple of Heaven
- Coach Day Tour of Mutianyu Great Wall and Acrobatic Show in Beijing