Napoli Art And Food Tour: Santa Chiara, San Gregorio Armeno And Sant Angelo A Nilo Church - Naples
OverviewThis tour will lead you to discover the astonishing Santa Chiara Museum Complex, SantAngelo a Nilo Church and San Gregorio Armeno Nativity street. The tour will end on a tasty note, with the typical pizza 'a portafoglio' (folded like a wallet) or pizza 'fritta' (fried pizza dough).
- All entrance fees included
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
- Multiple times offered throughout the day
- Led by a local guide
Know More about this tour
This guided tour will lead you to discover the astonishing Santa Chiara Museum Complex, SantAngelo a Nilo Church and San Gregorio Armeno street, famous for its beautiful Christmas crib figurines, all located at the heart of Naples old town.
Our guide will be waiting for your right in front of Santa Chiara gated entrance, where the famous Spaccanapoli street begins. You will discover the largest Gothic church in the city, based on early 14th century project of King Robert the Wise and his wife Queen Sancha Majorca of the Angevin Dynasty (1266 1442). Just behind it, you will admire the famous cloister (chiostro) adorned in hand painted Neapolitan ceramic tiles by Donato and Giuseppe Massa.
Walking along Spaccanapoli street to reach the next stop in our guided tour, Piazzetta Nilo,which will be quite an interesting experience. Spaccanapoli (whose real name is Via Benedetto Croce) is the ancient hearth of Naples, the decumanus inferior splitting the city in two. This narrow, colourful, noisy street is an incredible overview of what this amazing city has to offer.
Piazzetta Nilo will surprise you with its Greek charm: this little square is named after the statue of the River Nile, dating from the Hellenistic period, which was found on this site and set on a pedestal in the adjoining Largo Corpo di Napoli. The marble statue was erected by the Alexandrian merchants living in the area during Roman times. It mysteriously disappeared when the Egyptian expats moved out, turning up headless in the 15th century. Its recently restored bearded bonce was added in the 18th century.
Your walk along Spaccanapoli will continue until you reach Napolis most incredible street: Via San Gregorio Armeno. This narrow street is the undisputed world capital of the Nativity and home to the artisans and merchants who specialize in the art and the craft of the Neapolitan Presepe. The tradition of St. Gregory Armenian cribs has a remote, pagan source: in classical times the citizens used to offer small terracotta figurines, manufactured in the shops nearby, to Ceres, whose temple was on the site. The street is dominated by the magnificent belltower of the church of San Gregorio Armeno, serving as a bridge connection between the two buildings (church and monastery) dedicated to St. Gregory the Armenian.
The tour cannot be concluded without tasting Napolis favorite street food: 'Pizza a portafoglio', a tasty tomato pizza folded like a wallet, or Pizza 'fritta', a fried pizza dough stuffed with mozzarella, ricotta and cooked ham, which will surprise you with its softness and flavour.
Inclusions for Napoli Art And Food Tour: Santa Chiara, San Gregorio Armeno And Sant Angelo A Nilo Church
- Food tasting
Exclusions for Napoli Art And Food Tour: Santa Chiara, San Gregorio Armeno And Sant Angelo A Nilo Church
- ticket entrance
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Mt Vesuvius and Pompeii Day Trip from Naples
- Naples Food Walking Tour
- POMPEII EXCURSION FROM NAPLES
- CAPRI EXCURSION INCLUDING THE BLUE GROTTO OPTION FROM NAPLES
- CAPRI SHOW AND GO WITH BLUE GROTTO OPTION
- POMPEII, POSITANO AND AMALFI COAST CRUISE FROM NAPLES
- POMPEII AND SORRENTO WITH LIMONCELLO TASTING FROM NAPLES
- Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano shore excursion from Naples - Skip the line included