New Orleans Cemetery, Voodoo And French Quarter Tour
OverviewLearn about the supernatural side of New Orleans, including the city's most famous voodoo queen, on this walking tour that takes you to the French Quarter and the St Louis Cemetery No 1. Discover the architecture of the French Quarter and visit the grave of Marie Laveau, the powerful priestess who practiced the religion in and around the quarter in the 1800s. New Orleans history and culture is ever-present in the colorful homes, above-ground tombs, and voodoo legends that you discover on this mesmerizing tour.
Know More about this tourMeet your guide at the corner of Royal and Conti Streets in the French Quarter to start your voodoo and cemetery walking tour of New Orleans. As you stroll through the streets of the French Quarter, learn about New Orleans history and the classic architecture around the city.
Walk by shotgun homes one of the most popular styles of Southern homes in the early 1860s as well as Creole townhouses. Peek in several courtyards as your guide shares history about how they were used. Along the way, hear more about the citys legendary voodoo practitioners such as Marie Laveau. Many New Orleans residents believe in the religion, and various ancient traditions and rituals are still observed. You'll pass by one of the small shops that sell herbs, candles, oils and amulets used for voodoo rites.
From there, make your way to St Louis Cemetery No 1, where you can see Marie Laveaus burial site and above-ground tombs. Your guide shares why above-ground burials are common in New Orleans as you meander through the labyrinth of graves to find Marie Laveaus tomb. People come from all over the world to leave offerings, pay their respects, pray, and perform rituals around her decorated grave.
Once you leave the cemetery, head to the old train station, which is now a visitor center, to take a quick break before going to Louis Armstrong Park (formerly Congo Square). Your guide shares stories of large gatherings that took place here in the 1800s, including voodoo rituals.
After, walk back to the French Quarter to end your tour.
Please note: Expect to walk at a leisurely pace and cover about one mile during your 2-hour tour. Comfortable walking shoes and water bottles are recommended.
Inclusions for New Orleans Cemetery, Voodoo And French Quarter Tour
- Professional guide
Exclusions for New Orleans Cemetery, Voodoo And French Quarter Tour
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- $1 fee for cemetery entrance, collected on day of tour by tour guide
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
Tour guide will collect $1 from each customer for entrance to the cemetery. This fee is charged by the New Orleans Archdiocese.
All guides are licensed by the City of New Orleans
Note: It is illegal to vandalize/mark tombs in the cemetery. You will be fined and could be subject to arrest
Bring bottled water. Weather conditions can become increasingly hot in the summer months and drinking water is necessary to prevent dehydration
Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Steamboat Natchez Jazz Brunch Cruise in New Orleans
- French Quarter History and Ghost Buster Tour
- New Orleans Cocktail History Walking Tour in the French Quarter
- Private Arrival Transfer: New Orleans International Airport to Hotel
- New Orleans Super Saver: Swamp and Bayou Sightseeing plus Oak Alley Plantation Tour
- Ultimate Swamp Tour Experience