New York Gospel Music Tour - New York City
OverviewElevate your trip to New york city with a 4-hour tour of Brooklyn Heights to learn about African American gospel music and experience it in person. Take the subway from Manhattan to the Brooklyn Heights neighborhood to admire historic churches and brownstone homes. Consider the history behind the heavenly hymns as you stroll around Brooklyn and along the Promenade on the Hudson River. End the tour on a high note with a Sunday-service experience at the acclaimed Brooklyn Tabernacle.
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Fully narrated tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Get inside tips from a local
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
Know More about this tourAt your selected time, meet your guide in front of the Trinity Church in lower Manhattan. Once the group is together, take the subway (own expense) to Brooklyn for an easy, 2-hour walking tour to discover the history of African American gospel music. Your experience culminates with a 2-hour live gospel performance.
On your walking tour, enjoy the iconic brownstone homes and stroll along the Brooklyn Heights Promenade for an unbeatable view of the Manhattan skyline on the Hudson River. Along the way, your guide delves into the evolution of the genre, from its origins in American slavery to its influences on todays Billboard charts. Pass by Plymouth Church, where the a cappella group known as the Jubilee Singers captivated New Yorkers, and put gospel music on the map. Keep your ears perked to learn about other important figures including Charles A. Tindley (aka the Father of Gospel Music) and Thomas A. Dorsey, and how this inspirational music influenced a wide range of jazz, rock and blues musicians such as Elvis Presley and the Beatles.
After your walking tour of Brooklyn Heights, you'll arrive at the Brooklyn Tabernacle in the heart of downtown for a church service. What began with a handful of members in a small, run-down building is today a nondenominational congregation of nearly 10,000 people. It's perhaps best known for its Grammy Awardwinning choir, which has catapulted the gospel genre into the hearts of people around the world. See for yourself as sermons get a boost from either the Brooklyn Tabernacle's own choir or from visiting gospel groups. You might find it hard to resist letting out a hallelujah! as the unified choir sings uplifting songs and hymns.
When the service is over, you are free to explore Brooklyn at your leisure with a provided map that notes subway stations and dining suggestions.
Inclusions for New York Gospel Music Tour
- 2-hour walking tour
- 2-hour church service
- Licensed tour guide
- Map of Brooklyn with suggestions
Exclusions for New York Gospel Music Tour
- Subway ticket (USD$2.75 for single ride ticket)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Return transportation to Manhattan
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Not wheelchair accessible
Purchasing a single ride subway ticket prior to the tour is recommended
Due to the popularity and policies of the church, customers who want to attend this tour must stay for the entire service (2 Hours).
Out of respect for the congregation hosting, please dress appropriately and refrain from wearing flip-flops, tank tops or shorts.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- The Rise and Fall of the American Mafia Walking Tour
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Gourmet Brunch with Direct View on 6th Ave
- Hudson Valley Brewery Tour & Walkway over the Hudson
- 1920s Sunset Cocktail Cruise
- 1920s-Style 1-Hour Harbor Sightseeing Cruise
- Harlem Easter Weekend Gospel Celebration
- Sightseeing Cruise on Boutique Yacht
- Half-Day NY See It All Tour