Newfoundland Puffin And Whale Watch Cruise - St. Johns
OverviewCruise to the incredible Witless Bay Ecological Reserve for your chance to watch puffins, whales, and icebergs (wildlife & attractions vary with the time of year). Enjoy entertaining and educational live commentary provided by on board naturalists and crew. Learn about Newfoundland's marine wildlife and heritage from your enthusiastic, knowledgeable, professional guides during this awesome 90-minute adventure. Your catamaran offers the most space for your comfort and provides the greatest range to increase your chance of finding whales!
- See native wildlife in their natural environment
- Ideal choice for families
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience
- Excellent value for money
- Instant Confirmation
Know More about this tour
Explore the incredible Witless Bay Ecological Reserve, home to over 2.5 million seabirds and one of the largest populations of whales in the North Atlantic (sightings vary by season).
The Reserve is located at the end of Iceberg Alley. Icebergs pass along the coast each spring and summer, while on their journey from Greenland to their end in the warm waters of the Gulf Stream south of Newfoundland. By the time the icebergs reach the Reserve, they have been sculpted by the seas, sun, waves and shoreline to create incredible shapes. Each season is different!
You'll travel aboard a stable catamaran with a comfortable viewing platform for your wildlife experience. The catamaran can accommodate 100 persons in comfort on its outside decks and also has inside accommodations for all passengers in the event of inclement weather. This is the only tour vessel in Newfoundland with sufficient capacity.
The tour includes stops along the sheltered areas of the islands that comprise the Witless Bay Ecological Reserve. The areas visited offer great opportunities to view and photograph the nesting sites and activities of several seabird species including, but not limited to, Atlantic Puffins, Common Murres, Razorbilled Auks, Black Legged Kittiwakes, and Black Guillemots. Additional species that may be encountered during the cruise include Northern Gannets, Greater Shearwaters, Northern Fulmars, etc (sightings vary by time of season)
Whale watching is big part of the adventure with the peak season for encounters typically mid-June through mid-August annually. Your cruise is renown for the consistency of whale encounters throughout the summer season. The tour route varies slightly from trip to trip depending on weather conditions, time of the season, and presence/location of whales which move throughout the Reserve.
While your local service provider will make all reasonable efforts to provide you with an opportunity to encounter whales in their natural environment, the level of activity and interaction is entirely at the discretion of the whales. Please note that whales cannot be guaranteed on any particular departure.
Each cruise is narrated by an experienced, professional crew. Enjoy lively and engaging commentary, with a mix of information about the natural and cultural heritage of the area. The guides and crew are equipped with wireless microphones and are happy to answer your questions or repeat information.
This cruise departs from the private dock in Bay Bulls, only 25 minutes from downtown St. John's. Free parking is available on site and a convenient shuttle service (additional charges apply)is available from major hotels and B&B's in St. John's.
Inclusions for Newfoundland Puffin And Whale Watch Cruise
- All tours hosted by an experienced, local guide
- All tours are general boarding - there is no assigned seating
- All safety equipment is provided as per requirements set forth by Transport Canada Marine Safety
- Passengers are provided a pre-departure safety briefing including identification of safety equipment and demonstration of life saving equipment where applicable
- Vessel and crews are Transport Canada certified and approved.
- Ticket purchase provides admission for one cruise per person.
- Free parking available on site
- Vessel is washroom equipped
Exclusions for Newfoundland Puffin And Whale Watch Cruise
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Hotel Transfer. Shuttle servicefrom St. John's hotels available for an additional fee - must be booked in advance.
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Participants are advised to regard all instruction provided by the vessel crew
Direction/guidance is provided to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all passengers
Depending on vessel movement/sea conditions, passengers may be advised by the crew to refrain from standing or to remain seated during certain portions of the cruise
Passengers are asked to refrain from standing on benches/seating and or climbing on the railing
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
Whales and or icebergs cannot be guaranteed on any given cruise.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.