OverviewLocated only 163 kilometers from Sofia, Nis is a fantastic option to add a Serbian stamp in your passport, without checking out from your hotel in Bulgaria. Nis is the third largest city in Serbia and the birthplace of Constantine the Great, one of the most important emperors in the Roman history. Explore the intriguing history of former Yugoslavia, while having delicious authentic Serbian roshtil (grill) in the city, located on the both sides of Nisava river.
- Step back in time on a history tour
- All entrance fees included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Flexibility to customize your itinerary to your own preferences
- Hotel pickup included
Know More about this tourOur guide will pick you up at 8:30am from your hotel or accommodation in Sofia. Only 45 minutes of driving will take you to the border between Bulgaria and Serbia. After another hour and a half drive, crossing the wonderful Sicevo gorge you will reach Nis. Your first stop is Mediana - an ancient luxurious residence. Here you will learn about the history of the city, during the Antiquity and how important was Naissos for the Romans, while admiring lovely mosaics on the floor of the atrium in one of the houses of the noble people, lived here.
NOTE: Mediana is still closed for renovation, so visitors are currently not allowed.
Your next stop for the day is Cele kula, or the Skull tower. Built here in 1809 after the battle of Cegar hill between the Serbians and the Ottomans, it represents the atrocities of the Turks against the Serbs. Today the Skull tower is a symbol of the Serbian battle for independence and a cultural monument of exceptional importance for the history of the country.
From over here you will head to the city center for some lovely Serbian grill in traditional restaurant, located in the Old quarter of Nis. After that you will have free time in the city center to buy some souvenirs, before we head towards Nis Concentration camp. The name of the camp is 12th of February and is one of the few preserved in Serbia. Although small in sizes, the history of Nis camp is not different of these of the other camps around occupied Europe. Here you will learn about the occupation of Serbia during WWII, the stories of the imprisoned Jews, Romas and communists.
After our visit of the camp you will head towards Sofia and expect to arrive somewhere around 6:30pm.
Inclusions for Nis Day Tour From Sofia
- Entrance fees
- Fuel surcharge
- Local taxes
- Hotel pickup
- Small-group tour
Exclusions for Nis Day Tour From Sofia
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
A moderate amount of walking is involved
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.