Oaxaca Cooking Class
OverviewDiscover the flavors of Oaxaca as expert chefs introduce you to Oaxacan cuisine and cooking techniques. During this 3.5-hour class, walk to the local market to buy fresh ingredients before preparing your meal — including tortillas, salsas, an appetizer, soup, mole, dessert. With special emphasis on creating dishes (and recipes) that you can easily recreate upon your return home, this cooking class is a must-do while in Oaxaca! Numbers are limited to 10 people, ensuring an intimate experience with a small group of fellow cooking enthusiasts.
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Led by a local guide
Know More about this tourIn the morning your local chef/guide will greet you at your hotel and drive you to Casa Crespo for your Oaxacan cooking class. This world-class restaurant and its cooking school, located in the historic district, have received notoriety in the New York Times and Bon Appétit, among other publications. Step foot inside the restored colonial home to begin your 3.5-hour lesson in Oaxacan gastronomy.
Enjoy a cup of coffee or tea as you get acquainted with your small group and discuss the dishes you’d like to prepare. Your chef will offer plenty of recommendations that reflect the regional cuisine before you set out on foot to the Sánchez Pascuas food market, about a 10-minute walk away. Here, sample local fruits and hear an explanation of local ingredients, including an amazing array of dried and fresh chiles available. Get a look at colorful produce and specialties like grasshopper before your guide purchases your ingredients (included).
Then head back to Casa Crespo and begin cooking your 4-course meal under the guidance of your instructors, including a sous-chef who explains each step during your hands-on class. Typical Oaxacan dishes you might try are salsa, tacos and rose petal ice cream. Learn to make a main course like mole negro Oaxaqueño (Oaxacan black mole) or caldo de piedra (spicy seafood soup) on the stove, roll up empanadas or grind guacamole with a mortar and pestle.
Afterward, sit down at a table with your small group and enjoy the lunch you’ve cooked together, accompanied by a beverage such as beer, mescal, water or a soft drink. Enjoy another cup of coffee or tea after lunch, completing your tour around 1:30 – 2pm with drop-off at your hotel.
Inclusions for Oaxaca Cooking Class
- Local guide
- Food tastings
- Coffee or tea
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Exclusions for Oaxaca Cooking Class
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
Note: maximum number of participants per tour is 10
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.