Old Castlemaine Gaol Guided Tour
OverviewOn 20th July 1851, gold was discovered at Specimen Gully near Castlemaine, by the end of that year there were 25,000 diggers working the alluvial beds.The Old Castlemaine Gaol opened 10 years later in 1861 and was active prison up until it closed in 1990. Based on the Pentonville style it was designed to give prisoners the chance to seek penance through silent reflection, but instead led to prisoner suicides and madness.Between 1865 and 1876, there were 10 criminals hung within its walls.Come join one of our tours to find out what lies behind the walls of the Old Castlemaine Gaol and the prisoners it held.Gain access to areas closed to the public - sit in the cell where condemned men spent their final night. Walk the stairs to the hangman's noose where 10 men met their final end and pass through the door to the yard in which they were buried.
Know More about this tourMeet at the main front wooden doors of the gaol. Your tour guide will meet you there to commence your tour.
The tour will cover the history of the Goldfields, the Old Castlemaine Gaol, and it's inmates. You will be taken back in time to discover Castlemaine during the 1800's, and why there was the need for a gaol here. Be led around the former residence of the Governor and see where he used to live. Get locked up inside the gaol and see what it was like for prisoners incarcerated here. Spend some time in solitary and see the marks left from former prisoners.
You will gain access to areas not available on other tours such as the condemned mans cell and the lunatics wing.
Please note: uneven surfaces and steep steps are a part of this tour.
Inclusions for Old Castlemaine Gaol Guided Tour
- Entrance fees
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Local guide
- Walking tour
Exclusions for Old Castlemaine Gaol Guided Tour
- Food and drinks (available to purchase from the Governor's Cafe before or after tour)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Children under 15 are free
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair (private tours can be arranged for wheelchair or other mobility requirements).
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.