Old Town Historical And Underground Tour - Edinburgh
OverviewLed by either the holder of a PhD in Scottish history or a guide with decades of experience providing historic tours in Scotlands capital, this 90-minute tour is a fascinating journey through Edinburghs celebrated Old Town. Revel in the majesty of the famous Royal Mile with its stunning architecture, but also visit the secluded closes and courts lying just off the High Street and discover their dramatic stories. Find out about the world famous poets, novelists, philosophers and inventors who called this neighbourhood home but also the notorious thieves, murderers and bodysnatchers who stalked the streets after dark. The tour includes a trip through Canongate Kirkyard and a visit to our underground vaults below South Bridge, where you will find out how it came to be and who used to live there.
Know More about this tour
The tour begins outside our ticket office in the epicentre of the Royal Mile where your guide will welcome you and provide a general introduction to Edinburgh and its history. Be sure to ask about the story behind our ticket office which was a former police box! Then your guide will lead you onto South Bridge where you will spend the next half hour underground travelling through our section of underground street. Hear how and why South Bridge was constructed and examine the eighteenth-century bridge arches and stonework from the former houses along the former street. Get a very real sense as to what it was like for an ordinary person to live in this age-old metropolis.
Next, the tour returns above ground to Royal Mile and you will journey through the lower half of the Old Town towards Holyrood Palace, visiting its half hidden yet beguiling closes wynds and courts. Get to know the incredible occurrences which shaped the citys development such as devastating fires, collapsing stone buildings and bloody sieges. Learn who was the real-life inspiration for the fictional characters Robinson Crusoe, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Ebenezer Scrooge and Sherlock Holmes.
For the final portion of the tour, travel around the stunning Canongate Kirkyard. This beautiful almost 400-year-old church has extensive royal connections, not just with the twelfth-century Scottish monarch David I but also the House of Stuart and even the modern House of Windsor. Amongst those buried inside the graveyard is Adam Smith the intellectual godfather of capitalism as well as literary muses for Robert Burns Scotlands national bard. The tour ends outside Canongate Kirkyard on the Royal Mile, but your guide will happily lead you back to the ticket office where the tour began.
Inclusions for Old Town Historical And Underground Tour
- . 90 Minute tour of Edinburghs Old Town and South Bridge vaults.
- . Tour led by a well trained, highly knowledgeable and personable guide.
- . Relaxed nature of the tour allows for plenty of questions and further discussion.
- . Learn about the extraordinary events which shaped this great city.
- . Access to our exclusive section of underground.
- . For those who want to learn more about Edinburghs past this tour is a must do!
Exclusions for Old Town Historical And Underground Tour
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
No children under 5 years old.
One flight of stairs entering and leaving the underground.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Alnwick Castle and the Scottish Borders Day Trip from Edinburgh
- Hadrian's Wall, Roman Britain and the Scottish Borders
- Edinburgh Airport to Edinburgh Hotel Transfers
- 3-Day Budget Isle of Skye and the Highlands Tour from Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Tour in Private Minibus
- Shore Excursion: Doune Castle, the Trossachs and Loch Lomond in a Private Minibus from Edinburgh
- 2-Day Tour to the Highlands in a Private Minibus from Edinburgh - Islands and the West Coast
- Private Half-Day Tour in a Mini around the City of Edinburgh