OverviewAdmire the fine architecture, gardens and decor of the elegant Olveston Historic Home during a 1-hour guided tour of this must-see attraction in Dunedin. You can also stroll through the beautiful gardens and take in views of the city and Otago Harbour. During the house tour, your knowledgeable guide shares informative commentary about the design, art and furnishings, as well as the family that built the home. This tour gives you a chance to glimpse life in New Zealand during the early 20th century and learn about one of Dunedins most prominent families.
Know More about this tourMake your own way to the Olveston Historic Home, located just a few minutes drive from the center of Dunedin. Meet your guide at the reception area to begin your 1-hour tour of the historic house.
Designed by an acclaimed English architect, Sir Ernest George, the elegant 35-room mansion was completed in 1906. Its original decor has been maintained and restored, providing visitors with a glimpse into the life of a wealthy family in the early 20th century.
As you walk through the rooms of the home, your guide explains the details of the furniture, art and decorative pieces that are displayed throughout the house. David Theomin, the original owner, traveled extensively and collected art, ceramics and furniture from around the world. Among the works he collected are significant Japanese works, paintings by 15th-century Italian painter Fra Filippo Lippi, and pieces by New Zealand artists Alfred Henry O’Keeffe, WM Hodgkins and Frances Hodgkins.
You’ll also hear about the family’s contributions to civic life in Dunedin and the later years of the last member of the family, who left the house to the city of Dunedin in her will.
After seeing the interior of the home during the 1-hour tour, feel free to explore on your own in the lovely gardens that surround the house. Before you go, be sure to check out the restored Fiat 510 Tourer car that Mr. Theomin purchased in 1922.
Inclusions for Olveston Historic Home Guided Tour
- Local guide
Exclusions for Olveston Historic Home Guided Tour
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
To prevent damaging the wooden floors and original floorcoverings, visitors are asked to refrain from wearing stiletto heel shoes
Small-group tour with a maximum of 15 participants per tour
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.