Outlander And Jacobite Walking Tour, Edinburgh
OverviewTake a trip back in time with us back to the eighteenth century and explore one of the most tumultuous periods in Scotlands history the Jacobite uprisings. Those epic events have more recently been brought to a much wider audience in Diana Gabaldons seminal novels and subsequent TV series. Let our own resident member of Clan Fraser take you behind the stories to consider the often brutal but always fascinating history of the Jacobites. Stride along the very closes that Clare and Jamie walk through and see the remarkable landmarks which provide the setting for so many important chapters of the novels Dragonfly in Amber and Voyager print shops, pubs, dining clubs, prisons, churches and palaces. Visit filming locations used in the latest series of Outlander. Learn how Highlanders lived and fought through demonstrations of clothing and weaponry. On this epic two hour long tour of the Old Town find out if youre a Jacobite or a Redcoat?
Know More about this tour
The tour begins outside our ticket office on the Royal Mile where your guide will welcome you and introduce their character and Clan Frasers legendary history. There are Hanoverian spies everywhere so follow your guide into our underground vaults. Away from prying eyes they will demonstrate how to put on the famous Great Kilt, turning a six yard piece of tartan cloth into a multipurpose garment its an all in one jacket, rucksack and sleeping bag! Find out how the often outnumbered, outgunned Highland Jacobites managed to defeat trained government soldiers on so many occasions through their awe-inspiring skill in hand to hand combat through weapons like the infamous claymore broadsword.
After these demonstrations your tour continues above ground as you traverse down the stately Royal Mile. Your guide will take you to the very places Clare and Jamie visit in the books and also to Old Town closes and landmarks used as filming location for the latest TV series. See the now world famous Carfax Close where Jamie and Clare reunite after so many years apart. Beyond that youll discover how significant Edinburgh was for the Jacobite movement, particularly during the occupation of the city in 1745, and why so many men fought and died for the Stuart cause. Youll be shown the site of Scotlands former parliament, where Highland soldiers stormed through the old city wall, the location of a pro-Jacobite theatre and the Palace where Bonnie Prince Charlie himself spent a happy month dancing the night away. The tour ends outside Holyrood Palace, but your guide will happily lead you back to the ticket office where the tour began.
Inclusions for Outlander And Jacobite Walking Tour, Edinburgh
- . Tour is led by a guide in full Highland dress, playing a Clan Fraser warrior and illegitimate son of the infamous Lord Lovat.
- . Journey back to the eighteenth century and explore the historic Old Town.
- . Learn how to wear the iconic great kilt and use the legendary claymore.
- . Visit filming locations for the latest Outlander series.
- . Perfect for diehard Outlander fans but also those interested in Jacobite history.
Exclusions for Outlander And Jacobite Walking Tour, Edinburgh
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Stirling Castle and Loch Lomond Small Group Day Trip from Edinburgh
- St Andrews Day Trip from Edinburgh
- Day Trip to Doune Castle, the Trossachs and Loch Lomond in a Private Minibus from Edinburgh
- 4-Day Tour of the West Highlands and Isle of Skye from Edinburgh
- 3-Day Lake District and Hadrian's Wall Small Group Tour from Edinburgh
- 3-Day Speyside Whisky Tour from Edinburgh