OverviewBounce about the rugged landscape of Finke Gorge National Park, which includes Palm Valley, in a 4WD coach vehicle on a full-day trip from Alice Springs. Sit back and take in sights such as the Finke River, a natural stone amphitheater, and rock formations from Kalarranga Lookout. There will be a break for lunch in the Hermannsburg Historic Precinct where you can learn about notable Aboriginal community members such as the late painter Albert Namatjira.
Know More about this tourStart your day with early morning pickup from your Alice Springs hotel, then travel about two hours by air-conditioned 4WD coach through the West MacDonnell Ranges. Throughout the day expect informative commentary about the geology, as well as the plant and animal life in the area, from your guide.
Stop to stretch your legs in the heritage-listed Hermannsburg Historic Precinct, then continue into Finke Gorge National Park. After morning tea in Palm Valley, which is located in the park, hop back in your 4WD vehicle. Follow the Finke River along a sandy track that is surrounded by spectacular rock formations.
Palm Valley is named for the some 3,000 red cabbage palms found only here. See the trees in addition to other species of cycads and palms on a guided walk. From there, the 4WD vehicle takes you to Kalarranga Lookout. Hop out here for another guided stroll of less than a mile (1.5 km). Panoramic views of sculptural sandstone hills, rugged cliffs and natural stone towers create some great backdrops for photos.
Return to the Hermannsburg Historic Precinct where you can enjoy a ploughmans lunch (think cheeses and bread). German Lutherans established Hermannsburg in 1877, making it the first Aboriginal mission in the Northern Territory. After lunch, stroll through historic Lutheran mission buildings and learn about the importance of this area to the Western Arrernte Aboriginal people.
One of the most interesting local history lessons takes place at the home of the late Albert Namatjira, an acclaimed watercolor artist who lived in the mission. You'll also get to see his art in the local art gallery.
In the late afternoon, board your coach for the drive back to Alice Springs. Your tour ends with drop-off at your Alice Springs hotel in the early evening.
Inclusions for Palm Valley 4WD Tour
- Morning tea
- Live commentary on board
- Guided walks
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (select hotels only)
- Hermannsburg entrance fee
Exclusions for Palm Valley 4WD Tour
- Food and drink, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
Hat, sunscreen, sturdy walking shoes and bottled water are required when participating in the guided walks; all walks are subject to weather conditions
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.