Panama Canal Eco-Expedition - Panama City
OverviewThis unique tour of the Panama Canal and its watershed takes you through the modern operations of the canal and a visit to a remote indigenous village on the banks of the Chagres River. An exciting boat ride down the canal will introduce you to the transiting ships as well as the abundant wildlife on its shores, followed by a canoe ride on the upper reaches of the Chagres River and a visit to the indigenous Embera Village of Parara Puru.
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
- Get up-close to native wildlife
- Lunch included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
Know More about this tourTo start this tour, you will be picked up in central Panama City and taken halfway up the Panama Canal to the town of Gamboa, where the Chagres River meets the canal. A professional bilingual guide and boat captain will be waiting for you in a spacious covered boat.
During your 90-minute boat cruise you will ride along the waters of the Panama Canal right next to the ships passing through on their way to the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans. Thedestination is Gatun Lake, where youwill cruise around islands created during the canal construction and see the abundant wildlife on their shores.
You will visit the famous Monkey Islands where we can see capuchins, howlers, and tamarins in their natural habitat. The islands are situated in a world renowned tropical birding area, and along the shores you might catch glimpses of crocodiles, capybara, coati, agouti, iguanas, and much more.
After your boat ride down the Panama Canal, you will head 45 minutes to Chagres National Park. Once you arrive at Puerto Corotu on the banks of Lake Alajuela, the indigenous Embera will be waiting to take the group up the Chagres River aboard their version of a dugout canoe. The group will visit a beautiful waterfall before you're brought to the village where your hosts will be waiting. Witness a presentation about their culture along with a traditional dance.
A light lunch of fried fish, plantains and fresh fruit will be prepared by your Embera hosts. You will then have opportunities to buy handicrafts and receive traditional "tattoos" which will fade away after a few days. It will then be time to load back into the canoe for your return to Panama City and to be dropped back off at your hotel.
Inclusions for Panama Canal Eco-Expedition
- Panama Canal boat ride (2 hours)
- Chagres River canoe ride
- Entrance fees
- Bottled water
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (select hotels only)
- Small-group tour
- Transport by air-conditioned minibus
Exclusions for Panama Canal Eco-Expedition
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Not wheelchair accessible
Minimum age is 3 years
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- 5-days Guna Yala Kayak Expedition
- Panama Canal, Causeway, Old Town and Seafood Market Private Tour
- Soberania National Park, Monkey Island and Indian Village from Panama City
- Panama City Tour And The Canal
- Gatun Lake and Monkey Island Sightseeing Cruise from Panama City
- Panama Canal Dining Experience: Lunch at International Miraflores Restaurant