Panama Canal Partial Tour - Southbound Direction - Panama City
OverviewNavigate through the Miraflores and Pedro Miguel Locks and enjoy the action of the Panama Canal's operation.
- Fully narrated tour
- Instant Confirmation
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourYour Panama Canal tour starts at the Flamenco Marina, where you'll board a motorcoach for the 45-minute ride to the town of Gamboa, home to the Panama Canal Dredging Division. Your tour will depart between 10am and 12pm. Confirm your exact departure time with the tour provider prior to your tour
Hop aboard the Pacific Queen to start the water portion of your partial transit tour, departing from the north end of the Gaillard Cut, where the Chagres River flows into the canal. The Gaillard Cut (also known as the Culebra Cut because its curves resemble a snake) is one of the main points of interest for visitors because it was carved through the Continental Divide, and this section of the canal is full of historical and geological value.
The Pacific Queen takes you through the cut's 8.5 miles (13.7 km) on the way to the Pedro Miguel Locks. As you transit the cut, you can appreciate the continuous maintenance that this area requires, as it's very susceptible to landslides. You'll also be able to observe the work in process for the Panama Canal expansion project.
Before reaching the Pedro Miguel Locks at the southern end of the cut, you'll spot the new Centennial Bridge, which crosses over the canal. Then enter the locks, one of the two sets of locks on the Pacific side, where your boat is lowered 30 feet (9 meters) in one step. Next enter Miraflores Lake, a small artificial body of fresh water that separates Pedro Miguel from the Miraflores Locks, the latter being the final set of locks before reaching the Pacific Ocean. At Miraflores Locks, your vessel is lowered 60 feet (18 meters) in two distinct steps.
Once in the Pacific Ocean, cruise toward the Flamenco Marina, where you'll disembark and your tour ends; along the way, pass under the Bridge of the Americas and admire the Bay of Panama and the Panama City skyline.
Inclusions for Panama Canal Partial Tour - Southbound Direction
- Professional guide
Exclusions for Panama Canal Partial Tour - Southbound Direction
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Not wheelchair accessible
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Panama Canal Dining Experience: Lunch at International Miraflores Restaurant
- Portobelo by Rail and Gatun Locks Full-Day Tour from Panama City
- Fishing at the Panama Canal
- 8-Day Chagres and Guna Yala Kayaking Expedition
- Authentic Embera Indian Village Tour
- Fuerte Amador Shore Excursion: Private Full-Day Tour of Panama City and Canal