OverviewDiscover Petraâs rock-carved ruins, 'Indiana Jones' filming sites and rich Nabataean history on a day trip from Amman! After traveling south to the UNESCO-listed city, enjoy a stroll or short horseback ride to the Siq gorge for a comprehensive walking tour led by a local guide. Admire Petra highlights such as the Treasury (Al Khazneh), the Royal Tombs and amphitheater, and then make the most of some free time to explore the city that has captivated visitors for centuries.
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- All entrance fees included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourStart with a pickup from your central Amman hotel, and then relax on the journey south to the UNESCO-listed city of Petra by air-conditioned coach. After roughly three hours on the road, arrive at the city’s outskirts and enjoy a leisurely 20-minute stroll to the Siq. The naturally formed gulley is the main entrance to the ancient city. Alternatively, enjoy a short horseback ride to the Siq instead!
Meet back up with the rest of your group at the Siq entrance, and start your walk through the 1-mile (1.5-kilometer) gorge, lined by sheer sandstone cliffs. After passing its final bend, come face to face with the Treasury, the iconic Petra landmark famously featured in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Gaze in wonder at its Hellenistic façade, which was carved into the rock face, as you hear all about its history from your guide.
From the Treasury, continue your walking tour through the ancient city while learning more about its past. Believed to have been founded in the 6th century by the Nabataeans, the city was later hit by an earthquake. Its rock-carved buildings remained intact — a fact that attests to the Nabataean’s expert craftsmanship and ingenuity. Stop for photos by the amphitheater, and walk up to the Royal Tombs, the vast burial site that lies just above the valley floor.
After your tour finishes, enjoy between two and three hours of free time to explore the ‘lost city’ on your own. Perhaps wander over to the Monastery — one of Petra’s largest monuments — or stroll to Petra Church to admire its mix of Nabataean and Byzantine architecture. You can also use the break to enjoy lunch at one of Petra’s several restaurants (own expense).
At the prearranged time, meet your driver back outside the city, and re-board your coach to travel back to Amman. Your day trip then finishes with a hotel drop-off in the early evening.
Please note: If you opt to enjoy the short horseback ride at the start of the tour, helmets are not provided. The ride does not go faster than a steady walking pace, and beginners can be led by an assistant.
Inclusions for Petra Day Trip From Amman
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Local guide
- Transport by private vehicle
- Entrance fee to Petra
- Horseback ride
Exclusions for Petra Day Trip From Amman
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Helmet for horseback ride
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 30 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
There is not enough time to climb up to the monastery on the walking tour; however you may do this in your free time, if you wish
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.