Pompeii Day Trip From Rome
OverviewHike up Mount Vesuvius and then explore the UNESCO-listed ruins of Pompeii on a must-do day trip from Rome! Going at a steady pace, the hike includes a walk on the ridge of Italys famously feisty volcano, allowing incredible views down into the crater itself. After a pizza lunch, head to Pompeii to see the havoc that Mount Vesuvius reaped on it in AD 79. Tour the UNESCO-listed excavations, seeing fossils and well-preserved ruins while hearing the horrors that befell this intriguing ancient city. Mount Vesuvius is inaccessible from November 16 March 31. During these months, your volcano hike is replaced with a tour of the National Archeological Museum of Pompeii.
- Comprehensive tour of the city
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
Know More about this tourMeet your guide at Piazza del Popolo and then hop aboard your luxury, air-conditioned coach for your journey south to Italys Campania region. As you travel, your guide will keep you entertained with tales about the region, and of its brooding nemesis -- the famous and fearsome Mount Vesuvius.
As Europes best-known active volcano, Vesuvius gained notoriety for the destruction of the ancient towns of Pompeii and Herculaneum in AD 79. See the scars of ancient lava flows while traveling to the volcanos foothills, and then hop off your coach to walk to the top. Hiking up to the crater is the best way to experience Vesuvius magic, and after 20 minutes of steady-paced walking along soft volcanic ash and pumice stone youll hit the top.
Gaze down into the crater and enjoy some free time up on the ridge to soak up the volcanic views, set against the dazzling backdrop of the Bay of Naples. After taking pictures and drinking in the vistas, walk back down the volcano with your guide, and hop back aboard your coach for the short journey to Naples.
Enjoy one of the citys world-famous pizzas for lunch, and then head south to the ancient city of Pompeii. Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Pompeiis archeological site is fascinating to explore with well-preserved fossils and ruins that lay beneath volcanic ash for centuries.
See its sights with your guide, noting where the restaurants, shops and brothels of ancient Pompeii once stood. Marvel at the remains of the Forum and see Teatro Grande an impressive theater that once sat some 5,000 people. See plaster death casts of the victims, and then hear how they were discovered in the 18th century.
After exploring the excavation site, return to your coach and travel back to Rome. Your tour finishes at the start point in the early evening.
Please note:Mt Vesuvius is inaccessible from November 20, 2017 March 31, 2018. During this time, the hike is replaced with a walking tour of the National Archaeological Museum of Pompeii. The site is home to an array of relics, excavations and art from Pompeii.
Inclusions for Pompeii Day Trip From Rome
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Professional guided tour in English
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
- Entrance fee to Mount Vesuvius (April 1, 2017 November 19, 2017)
- Entrance fee to the National Archeological Museum of Pompeii (November 20, 2017 March 31, 2018)
- Entrance fee to Pompeii
Exclusions for Pompeii Day Trip From Rome
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
The hike up to the crater of Vesuvius requires a good level of general fitness. The walk is uphill at a 14 degree angle and takes roughly 20 minutes
Temperatures on the volcano are usually lower than temperatures on the ground; a sweater or light jacket is recommended
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Not wheelchair accessible
On rare occasions the crater of Mount Vesuvius may close due to adverse weather conditions. If this happens, you will be offered an extended tour of Pompeii, a visit to the National Archeological Museum of Pompeii, or a visit to Mount Solfatara, a volcano located in the Phlaegrean Fields near Mount Vesuvius
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
We regret that we are unable to accommodate pushchairs or strollers on our group tours
Appropriate dress is required for entry into some sites on this tour
Extra measures may be implemented due to heightened global security. As a result, we may experience delays in getting through mandatory security checks when entering the venue. Extra measures may also restrict the size of bags that can be brought inside. To avoid disruptions or possible denied entry, we strongly suggest that you avoid bringing large purses, bags, or backpacks on your tour
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Private Departure Transfer: Hotel to Rome Fiumicino Airport
- 3-Day Italy Trip: Naples, Pompeii and Amalfi
- Small-Group Cooking Lesson in Roman Countryside
- Civitavecchia Private Transfer: Civitavecchia Cruise Port to Rome Fiumicino Airport
- Florence Day Trip from Rome by High-Speed Train
- Civitavecchia Private Transfer: Rome Fiumicino Airport to Civitavecchia Cruise Port
- Private Departure Transfer: Hotel to Rome Ciampino Airport
- Vespa 125cc Rental Rome