Private Day Trip To The Maroon Village Celebration From Negril
OverviewTour the Accompong Town Maroon Village on January 6th for their annual Maroon celebration. Traditional Maroon food and dance will be available. See Maroons dressed in traditional maroon disguise.Note: this tour operates only once a year during the annual celebration.
- Excellent value for money
- Exclusive to Viator
- Ideal choice for families
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Instant Confirmation
Know More about this tourYour day will begin with pickup from your Negril hotel. As you venture on a journey up in the mountains to the Accompong Town Maroon Village you start to get a feel of what it was like back in the days when the Ashanti people occupied the village.
A guided tour begins across from the Community Center at the Homage to a Hero or Cudjoes Monument as it is referred to in Accompong Town. Your guide will explain about the Cudjoe and Accompong and how Accompong Town came into being after the Peace Treaty on March 1st, 1739.Tours can take various routes depending on the guide but most tours continue up the main street of Accompong Town Village.
The tour continues taking the right fork past some small stores and houses up a hill to the Accompong School sitting atop the tallest spot in Accompong Town. If classes are in session, you might like to peek inside. The large, flat area in front of the school is called Parade Ground where Cudjoe and Accompong used to train their warriors to prepare for battle. There is also a Seal Ground next to the Parade Ground. This is also the setting for the January 6th Celebration when this area is converted into a small stage and viewing area for cultural events, food and drinks.
The tour continues down the hill on the far side of the Parade Grounds for a walk to the Kindah One Family Tree. On the side of the trail near the Kindah Tree you will see plants and trees named for past honored residents of the town. Under the spreading limbs of this huge mango tree, the community and the warriors would assemble to plan attack strategies or just to discuss community matters.During the January 6th Celebration, the drummers, singers and dancers assemble there before marching up to the Parade Grounds and down through the town.
You will also find a cooking pit where ceremonial food is cooked to be shared with the residents. A black male pig, male yams and a rooster are the main food prepared. Fertility and good luck is wished on all who eat this food. Depending on the guide, a number of routes can be taken to return to the Community Center. It is suggested that you continue on around the circular town road and trail up to the old Moravian Church and town cemetery. Browsing and reading the headstones will show a surprising number of people who lived past 100 years and a large number of members of some of the major family names that make up this community.
Once the tour has ended your return to the Community Center to prepare to leave for the return trip to your Negril hotel.
Inclusions for Private Day Trip To The Maroon Village Celebration From Negril
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by private vehicle
- Private walking tour
- Local taxes
Exclusions for Private Day Trip To The Maroon Village Celebration From Negril
- Entrance fees (USD$20 per adult/ USD$10 per child additional)
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Minimum drinking age is 18 years
Dress code is smart casual
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- 6-Hour Hampden Estate Rum and Mo Bay City Tour From Negril
- Full Day Jamaican Legends Tour from Negril with Lunch
- Orange Bay Meet the Locals Community Tour
- Rhodes Hall Beach Horse Back Ride and Swim
- Shopping in Mo Bay with Rose Hall Great House
- Pelican Bar and YS Falls
- Margarittaville with Shopping and Ricks Cafe
- Negril Zipline Safari ATV Lunch Transfer Combo