Private Dinner In A Local Home: Heritage Heirloom Filipino Cooking With A Historically-Minded Host In Quezon City - Manila
OverviewLearn about Filipino culture and heirloom, historical recipes with Giney in her beautiful home over a private, homecooked meal. Giney is a local restauranteur who loves to explore the historical nature of Filipino cooking. She hunts high and low for heritage recipes,techniques and ingredients that have been lost in time. This is a unique opportunity to dine in a beautiful local home and taste unique lesser-known Filipino dishes. A meal with Giney is a must for history-buffs or those who want to dig deeper into the culinary traditions of the Philippines.
Know More about this tourGiney is a chef and a restaurateur who specializes in historical, heritage and heirloom Filipino cuisine. Her cooking starts with exhaustive research she describes herself as a culinary sleuth and is constantly hunting down heirloom family recipes that are at risk of being forgotten. She researches which ingredients would have been available at the time and imagines what was in the pantry as she perfects the recipe. She loves the way that food can connect you to the history and culture of a place, creating a visceral connection to the past and making it a continuing story, which includes you.
She and her partner Beth share a great interest in Philippine history, heritage conservation, arts and crafts. The exterior of their beautiful home is covered with greenery and vines, and the inside is filled to the brim with Filipino art and artifacts.
Arrive at Giney and Beths enchanting home in a gated suburb of Manila. Your meal will consist of a carefully curated menu of Filipino dishes, both common and uncommon, ranging from the 16th-19th century. The menu will showcase traditions, the bounty and cultural influences in Filipino food through time. A brief tour of the house and its collection of folk, antique and contemporary art works will be offered to work up an appetite or wind down a hearty meal. Conversations about Filipino food in culture, a little music appreciation perhaps and a taste of the much vaunted Filipino hospitality.
You might taste dishes such as cocido (a hearty stew with beef, pork meatballs, chorizo, beans and vegetables) served with roasted eggplant in a peppery vinaigrette or a tomato-olive salsa, chicken relleno (roasted chicken with ham and Edam cheese which takes two days to prepare), or her crispy pata (pork leg) with spiced vinegar dip. Your meal will end with a typical Filipino dessert, perhaps a silky leche flan (milk custard with a caramelized top) and a cup of Barako coffee, the iconic coffee of the Philippines dating to the 1880s.
Inclusions for Private Dinner In A Local Home: Heritage Heirloom Filipino Cooking With A Historically-Minded Host In Quezon City
- Lunch or Dinner
- Bottled water
- Local host
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
Exclusions for Private Dinner In A Local Home: Heritage Heirloom Filipino Cooking With A Historically-Minded Host In Quezon City
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- San Pablo Trails Mountain Bike Tour from Manila
- Corregidor Island Historical Bike Tour from Manila
- Santa Inez Waterfalls Mountain Bike Tour from Manila
- Wawa Dam Bike Tour from Makati
- Round-Trip Shared Transfer from Kalibo Airport to Boracay Island
- Bambike Ecotours: Intramuros Experience (Bamboo bicycle tours)
- Private Half-Day Shore Excursion Old Manila
- Private Half-Day Shore Manila City Tour by Jeepney