Private Elephanta Caves Tour Including Classical Dance Performance In Mumbai
OverviewTake a glimpse into the culture and legacy of Mumbai with this 7-hour private tour. Visit the Elephanta caves located on Elephanta island in Mumbai Harbour. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is a network of rock-cut temples dedicated to Shiva the Dancing God. Follow the fascinating mythology explained by your friendly and professional guide that links Shiva to the origin of classical dance in India. Post lunch, watch a scintillating Bharatanatyam dance performance by the renowned Sankhya Dance Group. The idea behind this tour is that tourists get an unforgettable experience of the rich Indian mythology and culture and understand how the two are irrevocably connected. The tour includes a traditional Indian lunch.
- Instant Confirmation
- All entrance fees included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Led by an art historian
- Lunch included
Know More about this tour
From the Gateway of India, board a ferry for Elephanta. Enjoy panoramic views from the ferry. The journey to Elephanta island takes approximately 1 hour. From the jetty you can either walk to the caves or take a toy train. The distance is less than a mile. A small museum housing a series of narrations of the attractions in Elephanta stands as a precursor to the caves. It also houses a large number of black and white photographs of other cave temples and rock cut architectures in India ( The museum is currently closed for renovation)
The main cave at Elephanta is called the Shiva cave. It houses relics depicting the Lords famous stances and recreates important events in the life of Lord Shiva. It also houses the famous statue of Shiva as Nataraja - the Lord of Dance. The main cave blends features such as massive figures of divinities and square pillars with artistic characteristics like the depiction of mountains and clouds and female hairstyles. Board the boat at 12:30pm for an hour-long journey back to the gateway of India.
After a traditional Indian thali lunch (if option is selected), proceed to watch a Bharatanatyam dance performance by the dynamic Sankhya group, among the top classical dance troupes in Mumbai. The presentation blends music, rhythm, poetry, expressions and bodily movements to perfection. More importantly, watch the dancers bring to life the Shiva images you witnessed in the Elephanta caves.
Inclusions for Private Elephanta Caves Tour Including Classical Dance Performance In Mumbai
- Professional art historian guide
- Lunch (if option is selected)
- Live entertainment
- Local transport by private vehicle (from gateway to studio and back)
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Entrance fees
Exclusions for Private Elephanta Caves Tour Including Classical Dance Performance In Mumbai
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Infant rates apply provided they do not occupy a seat
Infant meals not included
Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
A moderate amount of walking is involved
A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
A maximum of 10 people per booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.