Private Food Tour: Hong Kong Island
OverviewPrivate Food Tours last 4 hours and provide a solid introduction to Hong Kongs food which is primarily Cantonese Chinese cuisine but with some small differences here and there which reflect the citys mixed British and Chinese heritage. Food tours are immersive experiences meaning that you will be taken to very local restaurants where the level of English spoken is very low and you are likely to be the only tourists in the restaurant. You will have 5 foodie stops. Authentic Hong Kong yum cha (dim sum), wonton noodle soup, traditionally roasted meat, milk tea and the famous egg tart. On this tour we learn about the history of food in Hong Kong, from the traditional flavor from Guangzhou to the interesting western crossover cuisine that started popping up in the 1950's as local chefs tried to produce cheap versions of British and Western favourites.
- All-inclusive tour
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Great overview and orientation of the city
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tour
Meet your private guide in the morning in the Sheung Wan district of Hong Kong Island and follow on foot to a nearby restaurant. Arrive hungry, as you'll start the day with a traditional dim sum (yum cha) breakfast in a decades-old teahouse with a lively atmosphere. Find yourself transported back to a bygone era as you sample authentic dumplings still served via trolley.
Your next stop is a family-run wonton noodle shop, established in the 1960s and recommended by the Michelin Guide. Bite into this local specialty, a dish that only a true master can perfect. Then it's time for a cup of milk tea, perhaps the most pervasive legacy of Hong Kong's former British rule.
Next, travel aboard the Ding Ding (the Hong Kong tramway; own expense) to another family-run restaurant, which dates back to the pre-20th century Qing Dynasty and is renowned for its char siu. You're served a mixture of roasted meats, cooked in the traditional style and served with rice and homemade sauces.
Finish at a well-established bakery, a personal favorite of a former Hong Kong governor. Sink your teeth into an egg tart, or dan tat in Cantonese, another Chinese version of an English pastry the custard tart.
In between visits to these eateries in Sheung Wan, Central, and Wan Chai, stop by a dried seafood shop for a look at ingredients traditionally used in soups, a Chinese medicine shop originating from 1940s, and Hong Kongs oldest wet market. At the end of your food tour, your guide will explain how to get back to your hotel or give recommendations and directions to another point of interest.
Hotel pick-ups can be arranged.
Inclusions for Private Food Tour: Hong Kong Island
- Food per itinerary
- Milk tea
- Professional guide
Exclusions for Private Food Tour: Hong Kong Island
- Gratuities (optional)
- Please note that if you book a hotel pick-up, it is still a walking tour, not a car tour which means that you will be travelling around using the excellent public transport system.
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
It is recommended that you do not eat breakfast before the tour
Please bring a camera
Upon booking you will be sent easy-to-follow directions on how to get to the meeting point in the Sheung Wan district
This tour is not suitable for vegetarians or people with seafood allergies
Not wheelchair accessible
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.