Private Full Day Walking Tour Through Islamic CairoWrite a Review
This is a private walking tour that starts with a visit to the mosque of Ahmed Ibn Tulun (the oldest mosque still intact in Egypt), then you will walk from Bab Zuwayla to Babal-Futuh and Bab al Nasr (the only remaining gates of Cairo since its foundation in the 10th century)
- Excellent value for money
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Likely to Sell Out
Know More about this tour
Your private historian guide will collect you from your Cairo hotel at 9am in a private, air-conditioned minivan complete with Wi-Fi for this 8-hourwalking tour of Islamic Cairo. Alight at the Mosque of Ibn Tulun, the oldest intact, functioning mosque in Egypt please note women will need to cover shoulders, legs, and hair, while men should cover shoulders and thighs before continuing on foot.
From Bab Zuweila, one of the Old City's three surviving medieval gates, stroll down the ancient street of Sharia al-Muizz li-Din Allah to an ancient tent shop, where workers have hand-crafted ceremonial tents for weddings and other celebrations since the Fatimid era.
Next, delve deep into the religious heart of the city. Explore the red-and-white striped Mosque of al-Mu'ayyad Shaykh and the moving Sabil of Muhammed Ali Pasha, built as a tribute to his son who died of plague. Admire the serene Al-Azhar Mosque, founded in 970 AD as a centerpiece of the new city, and still a focal point for Egyptian Islam even today.
After a traditional Egyptian lunch, explore the celebrated Khan el-Khalili bazaar, an ancient market now full of brassware, leather goods, perfumes, costumes, and souvenirs. Discover the hospital, madrasa, and mausoleum founded by the Mamluk Sultan al-Mansur Qalawun in the 13th century, and the madrasa and Sufi theology school built by Sultan Barquq.
Wander through the Egyptian Textile Museum, home to fabrics from ancient Egypt all the way through to the Islamic era, and discover the Mosque of al-Aqmar, built in 1125 AD. Explore a restored Ottoman-era mansion, the Beit el-Suhaymi, to get a sense of life in later Cairo.
Finally, see the Mosque of al-Hakim, and Old Cairos other two surviving gates, before ending your tour at the northern wall. Your minivan will transfer you to your hotel at 5pm.
Inclusions for Private Full Day Walking Tour Through Islamic Cairo
- Local taxes
- Bottled water
- Welcome drink
- Professional art historian guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
- Transport by air-conditioned, Wi-Fi enabled minivan
Exclusions for Private Full Day Walking Tour Through Islamic Cairo
- Entrance fees
- Gratuities (recommended)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.