Private Guided Tour Of Florence Basilicas And Their Cloisters
OverviewThe invaluable artistic treasures and beautiful Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance architecture of the spectacular churches of Santa Croce, San Lorenzo and Santa Maria Novella and the charm of the ancient cloisters, evocative oases of peace and greenery in the heart of the city.
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Led by an art historian
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Instant Confirmation
Know More about this tourA guided tour in discovery of the city, following a path that leads us through the entire historic centre, inviting us into the intimate hospitality of buildings in which Florence's history, art and religious beliefs come together in indescribable harmony.
Our tour begins at the Basilica ofSanta Croce, a masterpiece of Gothic architecture with a facade clad in polychrome marble. We will admire the beautiful frescoes by Giotto and Agnolo Gaddi, the Crucifix and Annunciation by Donatello and the world-famous funerary monuments and tombs of illustrious figures from the past such as Michelangelo, Galileo and Machiavelli. Next, we will enter the elegant Brunelleschi Cloister bordered by columns carved from pure stone, and then pass into the fourteenth-century Ancient Cloister at the end of which lies the beautiful Pazzi Chapel, a sublime example of Renaissance harmony, also the work of Brunelleschi.
Leftthe Basilica, we will arrive at the famous Piazza della Signoria, a concentration of architectural and sculptural masterpieces which has no equal in the world. Here begins the fascinating story of the powerful Medici family whose history was tied to that of the city for more than three centuries.
We will then pass into the Piazza del Duomo, the city's religious centre, where we will be able admire the Cathedral with its famous Dome, the Baptistery and Giotto's Campanile (bell tower).
In the heart of the lively Medici quarter, we will find ourselves in front of the BasilicaofSan Lorenzo, Florence's oldest church, consecrated in 393 by Sant'Ambrogio. Inside the Basilica is the Old Sacristy by Brunelleschi with the tombs of the founders of the Medici family and works by Donatello, Bronzino, Filippo Lippi, Rosso Fiorentino and Pontormo. Leaving the church, we will enter in the impressive Cloister of the Canons at the centre of which stands an imposing 16th-century orange tree which was dear to the Medici family and became a kind of symbol of their dynasty.
Finally, we will head towards the striking square where the Basilica ofSanta Maria Novella stands with its splendid Renaissance faade by Leon Battista Alberti covered with white and green marble. Inside the Basilica, founded by the Dominican Fathers at the beginning of 1200, we will have the chance to see masterpieces such as the "Crucifix" by Giotto the "Trinity" by Masaccio and the spectacular frescoes by Filippino Lippi and Ghirlandaio. Our tour ends inside the elegant "Green Cloister" so named for its beautiful murals in green earth by Paolo Uccello. At the end of the visit, enrich your tour with adelicious 2-course la carte Lunch, in a Typical Trattoria of Florence city centre (lunch not included for kids younger than 7).
Inclusions for Private Guided Tour Of Florence Basilicas And Their Cloisters
- Private professional local guide for 3-hours
- 2-course la carte Lunch, in a typical trattoria in Florence city center (if option selected)
Exclusions for Private Guided Tour Of Florence Basilicas And Their Cloisters
- Santa Croce Basilica (to be paid on the spot): Adult: 8,00; Ages 11-16: 6,00; 10 and under are free
- Santa Maria Novella Basilica: Adult: 7,50; Ages 11-16: 5,00; 10 and under are free
- San Lorenzo Basilica:Full price ticket: 6,00.Free admission for: children younger than 11 years old
- 0-6 years old lunch not included (to be paid on the spot if option selected)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Arrive 10 minutes in advance at your meeting point
Wear appropriate clothes to visit worship sights
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Not wheelchair accessible
This tour does not operate on major holidays
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Tuscany Small-Group Day Trip with Chianti Dinner: Siena and San Gimignano
- Renaissance Florence Walking Tour
- Private Tour: Florence Shopping Tour to Gucci and Prada Outlet
- Viator Exclusive: Early Access to the Accademia Gallery in Florence with Breakfast
- Florence Cheese and Wine Tasting
- Cooking Lesson: From The Market To The Table in Florence