Private Guided Visit Of Florence Santa Maria Novella Basilica And Its Officina Profumo Farmaceutica
OverviewThe thorough guided visit of a marvelous Renaissance Basilica and its beautiful Cloisters, followed by the discovery of the fascinating setting of an ancient pharmaceutical workshop.
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Led by an art historian
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Instant Confirmation
Know More about this tourSanta Maria Novella Basilica was founded by the Dominican Fathers at the beginning of 1200 and magnificently stands with its splendid Renaissance faade, in the namesake beautiful square. Inside it, we will have the chance to see masterpieces such as the "Crucifix" by Giotto the "Trinity" by Masaccio and the spectacular frescoes by Filippino Lippi and Ghirlandaio and also hear the story of the "mendicant order" of friars who have always been present in this church. Our tour ends inside the elegant "Green Cloister" so named for its beautiful murals in green earth by Paolo Uccello.
As early as the 14th century the Dominican monks of the Santa Maria Novella monastery, who cultivated the land belonging to the monastery behind the cloisters, were selling rose water to use as a disinfectant, primarily during periods of epidemic. In the 16th century, under the influence of Cosimo I de' Medici and his successors, who took a profound interest in the natural sciences, and with the founding of the first "Giardino dei Semplici (medicinal plants), the monks began to cultivate a wide variety of plants, distil herbs and flowers and prepare essences, ointments and balms.
The current "workshop" at Santa Maria Novella dates back to 1612, a period when apothecaries were plying their trade here, which we will have an opportunity to visit after seeing the Basilica. Here, within the ancient halls that form part of the old Dominican monastery, beneath the vaulted ceilings with their magnificent frescoes and surrounded by the aromatic scent of herbs from the Tuscan countryside, you will be captivated by the irresistible and extraordinary products that are known and acknowledged throughout the world.
A real top must see amazing place!
Inclusions for Private Guided Visit Of Florence Santa Maria Novella Basilica And Its Officina Profumo Farmaceutica
- Private professional local guide at disposal for 1,5 hours
Exclusions for Private Guided Visit Of Florence Santa Maria Novella Basilica And Its Officina Profumo Farmaceutica
- Basilica admission ticket to be paid on the spot: Adult: 7,50; ages 11-17: 5,00; 10 and under free
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A small amount of walking is involved
Not wheelchair accessible
A maximum of 8 people per booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Private Tour: Perugia and Assisi Day Trip from Florence
- Vintage Fiat 500 Panoramic Tour of Florence from Pisa
- Welcome to Florence Guided Walking Tour
- Chianti's Best Landscapes and Wine Tour
- Perfume Masterclass in Florence: Make your Own Ambient Fragrance
- Private Florence San Marco Museum Tour with Skip-the-Line Entry