Private Provence Tour: In The Footsteps Of The Romans - Avignon
OverviewDiscover the fascinating Roman remains of Provence! On this private tour from Avignon, learn about the time when southern France was a part of the Roman Empire as you drive to the city of Nmes with your private guide. Visit the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Pont du Gard aqueduct near Uzs and venture to Nmes to see several landmarks: the Tour Magne (Magne Tower), the Arena of Nmes and the must-see Maison Carre (Square House), considered one of the best-preserved Roman temples in the world.
Know More about this tourYoull be picked up from your Avignon hotel for your morning or afternoon tour. Travel by air-conditioned mini-coach through the beautiful Provenal countryside as your guide begins to explain the mysteries of Provences ancient Roman history.
Your first stop is the Roman aqueduct on the Eure River, between the cities of Uzs and Nmes. Dating back to the 1st century BC, the aqueduct was built to supply water to Nmes, and its most famous stretch is the Pont du Gard, which carried fresh water over splendid arches across the River Gardon. Visit the Pont du Gard to get an up-close look at this UNESCO World Heritage site and learn why and how it was built. An incredible engineering feat, this was the tallest bridge ever built by the Romans, rising 160 feet (49 meters).
Back aboard the mini-coach, continue driving to the city of Nmes, whose ancient temples, amphitheaters and towers offer an intriguing glimpse into Roman times. Visit the Maison Carre, one of the best-preserved Roman temples in the world built in 16 BC by Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, who also built the Pantheon in Rome during this period. Discover how the temple survived the fall of the Roman Empire and learn about its uses throughout the centuries.
Head next to the Arena of Nmes, a Roman amphitheater that was built in the year 70 and remodeled in 1863 to serve as a bullring. Continue to the impressive Tour Magne. Built under the Emperor Augustus in the 1st century BC as part of the fortifications of Nmes, this is the towns sole remaining tower from this period. As your guide will explain, the Magne Tower goes beyond Roman times, having played a role in the Hundred Years War as a stronghold against the English.
Climb to the top of the tower for a fantastic view of the city and a look at a map of what Roman Nmes looked like. Then, descend down and re-board the mini-coach for a relaxing drive back to your Avignon hotel.
Inclusions for Private Provence Tour: In The Footsteps Of The Romans
- Transport by air-conditioned mini-coach (max 8 passengers)
- Professional guide
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Exclusions for Private Provence Tour: In The Footsteps Of The Romans
- Entrance fees
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Confirmation of this product will be received at time of booking
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- PRIVATE Full Day Roman and Medieval Provencal Heritage Walking Tour from Avignon
- PRIVATE Full Day Luberon Villages Walking Tour from Avignon
- PRIVATE Full Day Provence Villages and Historical Monuments Walking Tour from Avignon
- PRIVATE Half Day Luberon Villages Walking Tour from Avignon
- Small-Group Day Trip to Aix en Provence from Avignon
- Small-Group Fish Cooking Class with Market Visit in Uzs
- Full Day Provence Villages and Historical Monuments Walking Tour from Avignon
- Discover Provence including Avignon and Luberon Villages from Avignon