Private Scholar-led Kyoto Walking Tour: Japanese Gardens And Landscape
OverviewThis 3-hour private walking tour of Kyotos beautiful Japanese gardens takes you to several Zen Buddhist temples with a local scholar. Admire Mirror Pond at Kinkaku-ji (the Golden Pavilion), Karesansui Garden at Ryoan-ji and the intricate rock and water landscapes of Ninna-ji. Your knowledgeable private guide will enlighten you about the Japanese aesthetics and principles of design that have shaped the stylized gardens of emperors, nobles and monks for centuries. Enjoy personalized attention on this private tour, with a choice of morning or afternoon departure times.
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Step back in time on a history tour
Know More about this tourMake your way to the northwest corner of Kyoto and meet your private guide a local scholar at Kinkaku-ji Temple, known as the Golden Pavilion. With a wide array of well-preserved temples, Kyoto is an ideal environment for exploring the Zen gardens and Japanese landscapes that have become world-renowned since Japans emperors ruled during the Muromachi period. Throughout your 3-hour private walking tour your expert guide will focus on Japanese garden design from this era when Japanese culture and Zen Buddhism began to flourish.
Starting at the Zen Buddhist temple, which was a former private villa during the 13th and 14th centuries, learn how Shogun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu purchased and transformed the land. Visit the lush gardens as your guide delves into villa garden design from approximately 1337 to 1573. Mirror Pond, which reflects the pavilion and contains numerous man-made islands, is a prime example of the use of water and stone in the environment. While here, discuss the various natural elements used to create the gardens, and contemplate how these spaces were used for both entertainment and contemplation as the space transformed from private villa to Buddhist temple.
After a short trip on the local bus, arrive at two excellent examples of Zen rock gardens: Karesansui Garden at Ryoan-ji and the gardens of Ninna-ji. The dry Zen gardens at Ryoan-ji showcase a stylized landscape created from gravel and rocks. Karesansui Garden from the Muromachi period exemplifies the typical design found at Zen Buddhist temples. Youll learn to read the landscape as your expert guide points out how form and function are bound tightly together with the philosophy behind Zen Buddhism.
Ninna-ji, your final stop, dates from the Heian period, providing a means to compare Japans earlier landscape design. The covered walkways of the Goten, the former residence of the head priest, were modeled on an Imperial style and feature painted sliding doors that mirror the surrounding landscape. Ninna-ji contains both dry gardens and gardens with water features, tying together the Japanese principles of precision and idealization youve come to appreciate during your private walking tour.
Inclusions for Private Scholar-led Kyoto Walking Tour: Japanese Gardens And Landscape
- Professional English-speaking guide
- Private tour
Exclusions for Private Scholar-led Kyoto Walking Tour: Japanese Gardens And Landscape
- Entrance fee to sites, JPY1,400 (approx.)
- Public transportation fee of JPY220 if you don't have a Kyoto bus pass
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Adult pricing applies to all travelers
Not wheelchair accessible
Minimum age is 10 years
A maximum of 6 people per booking
You will be asked to remove your shoes in some areas, and it is considered impolite to walk on tatami mats in bare feet, so if you are not wearing socks please bring a pair with you
Please note that JPY220 will be needed to ride a public bus, unless you have a Kyoto bus pass
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Kyoto Underground Tour
- Kyo-arashi Shibori Scarf Class
- The Alternative Fushimi Inari Walking Tour
- Total Kyoto - Full Day Kyoto by Day and after Dusk Small Group Tour
- Kyoto Sake Brewery Tour with Lunch
- Gion and Kamogawa Evening Food Tour in Kyoto
- Kyoto Sagano Walk and Bamboo Forest
- Kimono and Yukata Experience in Kyoto with Japanese Traditional Candies