Private Shore Excursion: Best Of Klaipeda And Curonian Spit - KlaipėdaWrite a Review
OverviewWho said Klaipeda is an industrial port? Escape the hustle and bustle on a private 8-hour tour of Klaipeda and Curonian Spit, where your private guide will show you all the most beautiful parts of this port of call. It is home to such picturesque places asÂ Joudkrante, Nida, and the Grey Dunes. A tour of Klaipeda Old Town andÂ Curonian Spit preserve will surely not leave you unaffected. Tour includes round-trip transportation from the cruise port. Lunch may be ordered in advance from a local cafe (own expense).
- Free port pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Led by a local guide
- Great overview and orientation of the city
- Comprehensive tour of the city
Know More about this tourMeet your professional tour guide outside the main port gate; departure is coordinated with your ship's arrival (usually between 8am - 11am). Board your private, air-conditioned vehicle for your guided tour through Klaipeda and the Curonian Spit nature preserve.
Take a ferry to Curonian Spit, and begin with a visit to one of the oldest settlements on the Spit, the charming seaside resort of Juodkrante with its Amber Bay and many pleasing stone sculptures. Since prehistoric times people have lived on this elongated sand dune peninsula which separates the Curonian Lagoon from the Baltic Sea. Threatened by the natural forces of wind and waves, its survival to the present day has been made possible only as a result of ceaseless human efforts to combat the erosion of the Spit.
After exploring the sights of Juodkrante for approximately 1.5 hours, travel on to the Grey Dunes (sometimes called Dead Dunes). Walk along the fascinating area of wind-blown dunes and grassy, vegetation-covered sand hills and be impressed by the sheer scale of the landscape.
In Nida, see some of the highest sand dunes in Europe including the famous 52 metre-high Parnidis Dune. If you’re a literature lover, you’ll enjoy the next stop, Thomas Mann Memorial Museum. The famous German author of Death in Venice and Dr Faustus had this house constructed in the town which he visited in 1930 and 1931. Next, head to the Mizgiriai Amber Gallery where you’ll learn all about amber, its uses, and its place in Lithuanian culture and history. Spend 2-3 hours covering these sights. Have time for lunch at a local cafe in Nilda (own expense).
Return to Klaipėda, where you’ll make a photo-stop in the heart of Old Town, Theater Square. Outside the theater, see the Simon Dach fountain, built in honor of the German poet born in Klaipeda. The fountain portrays a young woman thought to be the subject of the poem 'Annehen von Tharau.' Learn about the old town of Klaipėda, street layout features, architecture, and history. During the 2-hour walking tour, see the small sculptures, which became Klaipėda's Old Town attraction for many years. See 'The Cat with the Face of a Gentleman,' and be sure to make a wish at the small gold statue of the 'Mysterious Mouse.' Learn why a chimney sweeper is located on the roof of one the Old town houses. Then see the only existing ravelin (a triangular fortification on a fortress) in Klaipėda, located on Jonas Hill. Hear the story of the city's fortifications and defense system.
Enjoy some free time for relaxing self-exploration, shopping, or a coffee/beer break in one of the local cafes, if you choose. After eight hours you will be transported back to the cruise port. Please note, tour order may vary depending on traffic conditions and availability. Tour is not wheelchair accessible.
Inclusions for Private Shore Excursion: Best Of Klaipeda And Curonian Spit
- Professional English-speaking tour guide for 8 hrs
- Port pickup in private vehicle suitable for the group size
- Panoramic city driving tour
- Round-trip ferry transfer to Curonian Spit
- Ecology fee to Curonian Spit
- Curonian Spit tour with photo stops at Juodkrante, Nida, the Dunes
- Walking tour of Nida
- Admission to Thomas Mann memorial museum
- Klaipeda Old Town walking tour
- Local taxes
Exclusions for Private Shore Excursion: Best Of Klaipeda And Curonian Spit
- Gratuities (recommended)
- Food and drinks. Lunch can be ordered in advance for a flat fee of 22 USD per person. Lunch includes salad, soup, main course and dessert at a local cafe in Nida.
- Any admissions not mentioned above, for example, Amber Queen Museum
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Adult pricing applies to all travelers
Child seats are available on request if advised at time of booking
At time of booking, cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
Not recommended for participants with back problems
Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
Not wheelchair accessible
A moderate amount of walking is involved
A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
Personal food and drinks are not allowed in the vehicle
Bus is comfortable, fully-enclosed, and air-conditioned. They are equipped with bathrooms or Wi-Fi
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.