OverviewThe basilicas of Rome are best seen with a knowledgeable escort who will take you through the amazing churches and basilicas on this 7-hour private tour. Take time to learn the secrets and history of Christianity and the architectural influence it had on Rome.
- Exclusive to Viator
- Small group ensures personal service
- Hotel pickup included
- Fully narrated tour
- Private tour is operated with just your party and a guide/driver
Know More about this tourUncover Christianity’s history and architectural influence on the Eternal City during this seven-hour tour beginning at your Rome hotel at 8am. Be sure to dress modestly since you will be visiting churches with strict dress codes, including no shorts or sleeveless tops allowed and knees and shoulders covered for men and women.
You’ll travel by air-conditioned vehicle to St. Paul Outside the Walls and your guide will spend about 30 minutes explaining its significance as you experience the grandeur of its altars, ceiling, and sculptures. You’ll next travel for about 30 minutes to the other side of the city, to visit Santa Maria Maggiore, hearing the legend of the church’s construction by a Roman patrician and his wife after receiving a vision from the Virgin Mary. Nearby, you’ll visit St. John Lateran, where your guide will explain the significance of the church’s many Renaissance artworks, and its role as the seat of the Pope. Take a brief 10 minute walk to nearby Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem, one of Rome’s seven pilgrimage churches, housing relics said to be from the Passion of Jesus, including thorns from his crown, and pieces of the cross. Your guide will make recommendations for lunch, and after a leisurely meal, you’ll travel along historical Appian Way for about 20 minutes to Church of Domine Quo Vadis. There, you’ll see footprints in marble that are popularly held to be a miraculous sign left by Jesus. If the tour schedule allows, you will visit the nearby Catacombs, a subterranean ancient Christian burial site. Your tour will conclude with an included transfer back to your Rome hotel at about 3pm.
Inclusions for Private Tour: Basilicas Of Rome
- English Speaking driver
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
Exclusions for Private Tour: Basilicas Of Rome
- Entrance fees 8 euro per person for the Catacombs
- Gratuities (optional)
- Lunch at your own expense
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Adult pricing applies to all travelers
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
A moderate amount of walking is involved
A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.